Hanging Curtains... - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hanging curtains...

I am trying to install decorative curtain holdbacks to hang fabric panels from... anyway..... I did use my stud finder and found out the hard way that it doesn't work properly. I put in - screw in - molly hardware successfully but the mollys I picked were too small for the screw on the holdback base and they cracked when I started to screw the base of the holdback in. I took out the mollys and now have holes.... So, I then tried to use the mollys that came with the set of holdbacks and the molly went in one of the holes successfully but not the other, because of a stud. UGH I tried cutting the mollys to make them shorter... because the screw on the holdback base is only about an inch... How can I successfully install these holdbacks if the screw on the holdback isn't long enough to hit the stud and I can't get mollys to go into the wall? I would love to use the existing holes.... any way I can do it???

Advertisement

KWoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
Cranky Old Installer

Hanging curtains...

You don't say, so I'm assuming your walls are sheetrock. Depending upon the thickness of the drywall you might be able to get the 1" screw on the holdback to (just barely) grab the wood of the stud. You will need to predrill a very small diameter pilot hole in the wood so that you can get the screw on the holdback started. It won't be able to go in very far so be careful not to overtighten it. It doesn't have to be super strong since it won't be supporting any weight. You can patch the old hole first if you want, the fabric of the tie-back should hide any imperfections.

Advertisement

BlindsInstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #3

Hanging curtains...

how to hang curtain rods in sheet rock walls
planaux is offline   Reply With Quote