Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hanging Ceiling Drywall

My husband and I will be hanging ceiling drywall (in the kitchen) for the first time next weekend...

Everything I've read says to use 5/8" thickness panels, to prevent sagging. However,the kitchen ceiling ties directly into the living and dining rooms, which have the original 1/2" ceiling sheetrock panels. We can't do any strip blocking under the (24" apart) roof trusses because of this also.

So, we purchased 1/2" USG Mold Tough gypsum sheetrock panels, instead of 5/8" panels. We're going to glue and screw (hmm...that didn't sound right! ).

Are we in danger of a sagging ceiling?? Any advice?

Lollymagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hanging Ceiling Drywall

Are you saying they're 24" OC and you want to put 1/2" up there? Is this being permitted? I do not think the inspector will OK that. 5/8" will likely be required.

DM

Old 04-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,054

Hanging Ceiling Drywall

5/8" board does work better for ceilings but isnt neccessary, glue and screw the board plus use more screws closer together to help prevent sag. standard practice is 4 or 5 screws per truss or strapping . up the screws to 8" o.c and you should be fine
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Hanging Ceiling Drywall

i believe you may possibly have problems. the only 1/2" rated for 24" is sag resistant and ultra light drywall.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
the Musigician

Hanging Ceiling Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
5/8" board does work better for ceilings but isn't necessary
....tell that to MY building inspector... see how far it gets you...
5/8" fire-X required.

DM
Old 04-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Hanging Ceiling Drywall

Use ceiling board instead. Stiffer than regular drywall, I think it is specified for 24" centers. Here is one option...

http://www.nationalgypsum.com/produc...29%2000-06.pdf
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Hanging Ceiling Drywall

The new ultra light IS rated for 24" centers, even with water based texture applied. Code varies from area to area, but around here 5/8" is only required in some garage applications. And that varies by county and even municipality in some cases. I would guess if the rest of your house has 1/2", it is allowed. Check with the building dept. if unsure....
Old 04-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #8

Hanging Ceiling Drywall

1/2" USG Mold Tough-----------If applying a water-based texture, the framing requires 16"o.c., not 24"", see footnote "D": http://www.usg.com/rc/data-submittal...tal-WB2390.pdf

Gary
Old 04-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #9

Hanging Ceiling Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollymagoo View Post
The kitchen ceiling ties directly into the living and dining rooms, which have the original 1/2" ceiling sheetrock panels.

Are we in danger of a sagging ceiling?? Any advice?
The 1/2" in the other areas is not sagging?

To everyone else... what about installing 2x4's as blocking perpendicular to the existing 24" OC trusses? That would give more spots for drywall screws to bite, but wouldn't require lowering the ceiling...

It seems like with two people, a chop saw and a rented framing nailer you would be able to go through that in a few hours... or does it somehow weaken/damage the trusses?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #10

Hanging Ceiling Drywall

In my area 1/2" is the norm. 5/8" is used in the garage ceiling, garage wall adjacent to the house and above the furnace. My 1972 home is 1/2" on the ceiling throughout, trusses 24" O.C. That being said, if the mold tough is not rated for 24" O.C., don't use it. I've been using the ultra-light and like it. Good luck and be careful.

packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote