Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #1

Share |

Guidance on surface prep after wallpaper removal

Hey everyone. This is my first post on DIY Chatroom.

I'm looking for some guidance on how to prep the surface of plaster walls after stripping the wallpaper. I just moved into a place that I'm renting. Two rooms (1 large/1 small) have old textured wallpaper which is peeling at the seems (see picture).

I want to strip and paint both rooms at a minimal cost. I have approval from the landlord.

I started with the smaller room to gauge the difficulty level. The wall paper peeled off VERY easily and, for the most part, in entire sheets . There were a few spots of residual glue/backing which I washed down and scraped off no problem.

Now, there a several dings, nicks, uneven surfaces, and a few cracks in the plaster.

My first thought was to skim coat the entire room, prime, then 2 coats of paint. Based on the picture, is this all necessary? A couple questions on this approach:
  1. Should I use all purpose compound, topping compound, a blend of compound and something else?
  2. How many coats is really needed?
  3. Should I seal/prime will with something like Guardz? I live in Canada and Guardz is not sold anywhere. Are other Zinsser product comparable (Bulls Eye 1-2-3, Bin)??
  4. If so, does the sealer go on before or after the skim coat.
I appreciate any advise or comments. I would really like to keep the work to a minimum as this is only a rental property.

JD

jd3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Guidance on surface prep after wallpaper removal

I would prime with Gardz,( do you have Sherwin Williams up there? if so they have a similar product called drywall conditioner)

Just skim the dings etcetra, no need to do the whole room, sand, clean, prime, paint.
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote