Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2011, 12:58 AM   #1

Share |

green wall good for ceiling?

I have some leftover green wall (water resistant drywall) left over from a DIY shower surround install. I was thinking about using it to replace the drywall I will have to rip out of the ceiling.
This green wall should be fine, right? It has pretty much the same properties as regular drywall? I don't think there is much difference in weight.

Thanks

darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:29 AM   #2
DIY staff

you should be fine--As always prime before painting and figure on an extra coat of paint (or two) on the new work to restore the 'orange peal' texture of the existing work.

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:07 AM   #3

If you will be adding a water based texture, skim coat or flat, you need to install 1/2" board perpendicular to the joists IF 24" on center spacing. 5/8's, no problem. No vapor barrier plastic under it.... Walls require no v.b. at exterior walls with greenboard- check with your State Energy Code.
Prime before texturing too.....

Gary