Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 42
Share |

Got estimates today

Two guys came by today. Both will be doing the job by themselves. It is about 40 4x8 boards equally split between walls & ceilings. Both were about the same price but one guy said it will take 2 days and the other said he needed three. I'm sure it doesn't matter but the guy who said it would take three days said he would use a 40" trowel on this one long joint( where the 1st floor meets the 2nd) and the other guy said the longest blade he uses is 10". Just a FYI. Any opinions? Thanks.

Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 212

Got estimates today

Never heard of anyone using a 40" trowel unless there skim coating the whole wall.
I use a 12" as the last knife on seams, does not make my way right it just works out for me.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Mstrlucky74 (03-16-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 100

Got estimates today

Three days is typical---two for tape and mud--then a short day for sanding and clean up---

We usually let the mud set up for a day ---so four ,total----

Skill is more important than time-----we often hang and tape ready for sanding in one day---but that's a push job----still looks good---but rarely done--takes a day or two for all that mud to dry.
Mstrlucky74 (03-16-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #4

Got estimates today

Don't know who to choose.....any advice

Last edited by Mstrlucky74; 03-16-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6

Got estimates today

tHE one you are most comfortable with.

40" knife is ridiculous by the way.

have you checked references?
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 32

Got estimates today

Quote:
Originally Posted by framer52 View Post
tHE one you are most comfortable with.

40" knife is ridiculous by the way.

have you checked references?
no doubt
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #7

Got estimates today

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
no doubt

He said he was going to use that for one joint where the 1st & 2nd floor meets. He said that is a hard joint/seam to hide. I am just a bit turned off that the other guy said 2 days. And references to me seem bogus....can't someone give you the numbers to family, friends etc. pretending he did work for him?

Last edited by Mstrlucky74; 03-16-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 60

Got estimates today

Have never heard of 40" knife the biggest I use is a 16" trowel. I think either he misunderstood you or you misunderstood him. And to be real 2 days to tape and mud by 1 guy is doable. It really sounds like he knows what he is doing. He is going to use hot mud for the first 2 coats then sand, then topcoat with regular mud. Just my opinion.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
framer52 (03-18-2013), oh'mike (03-16-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 100

Got estimates today

Two days is very possible----ask if he has a job going on right now----and would it be possible to drop by the site?

Do not think badly of him if he refuses that----I would never invite someone to one of my jobs without permition of the owner---some customers are very private and that must be respected---
Old 03-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #10

Got estimates today

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Have never heard of 40" knife the biggest I use is a 16" trowel. I think either he misunderstood you or you misunderstood him. And to be real 2 days to tape and mud by 1 guy is doable. It really sounds like he knows what he is doing. He is going to use hot mud for the first 2 coats then sand, then topcoat with regular mud. Just my opinion.
What's hot mud? The first lunatic with the "40" trowel" mentioned hot mud. DOes everyone use hot mud? Maybe I can ask the guy who said "two days" about hot mud to quiz him.....I guess
Old 03-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #11

Got estimates today

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Two days is very possible----ask if he has a job going on right now----and would it be possible to drop by the site?

Do not think badly of him if he refuses that----I would never invite someone to one of my jobs without permition of the owner---some customers are very private and that must be respected---
Thanks Mike!!!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 60

Got estimates today

Hot mud is a setting mud it comes in bags marked5 minute 20 minute 45 and 90 and you can get longer. this is mixed with water and the number on the bag is how long it takes it to dry. This is done thru a chemical reaction that is how they can tell how long to dry. Regular drywall mud sets by drying when exposed to the air and can take a day. So by using the hot muds you can get 2 coats on in a day and then sand. The down side is they are hard to sand and finish. So usually the first couple coats are hot mud then a coat of regular mud goes on top or finish coat.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #13

Got estimates today

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Hot mud is a setting mud it comes in bags marked5 minute 20 minute 45 and 90 and you can get longer. this is mixed with water and the number on the bag is how long it takes it to dry. This is done thru a chemical reaction that is how they can tell how long to dry. Regular drywall mud sets by drying when exposed to the air and can take a day. So by using the hot muds you can get 2 coats on in a day and then sand. The down side is they are hard to sand and finish. So usually the first couple coats are hot mud then a coat of regular mud goes on top or finish coat.

Ok so the mud that you a referring to is different Than that spackle that comes in those 5 gallon buckets? That is the regular drywall mud you mentioned that takes about a day to dry. So there is really no way that the guy who said it would take two days could use the regular drywall spackle? He needs to use the mud that's in the bags? Thanks TS
Old 03-17-2013, 02:56 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 0

Got estimates today

Maybe the one guy uses a plasterer's darby:

http://www.bontool.com/product1.asp?P=WEDGEDARBY
thatbobguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thatbobguy For This Useful Post:
Mstrlucky74 (03-17-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 03:11 AM   #15
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 32

Got estimates today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Ok so the mud that you a referring to is different Than that spackle that comes in those 5 gallon buckets? That is the regular drywall mud you mentioned that takes about a day to dry. So there is really no way that the guy who said it would take two days could use the regular drywall spackle? He needs to use the mud that's in the bags? Thanks TS

Read his post again, carefully. 2 coats hot mud, THEN a coat of regular mud on top, not spackle, ever.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote