The hangers started putting up the 5/8" celing drywall on Tuesday. Several issue came up and I had to stop them.
1. Any problem going with all screws.
Hangers are real gorillas with the hammers. 25% of the nails have torn the paper, half of these the paper is torn 100% around the nail. Screw gun seems to limit their gorilla instincts. Screws look pretty good.
2. Is crushed core from hammering normal on edges? Seems unavoidable?
On one edge I can see, the core is crushed significantly from hammering.
3. Decided to go with butt backers 100%. Out of square joists are causing problems and I like the taper from Rocksplicers.One side of the butt joint had about 1/4" to nail to and the other 1 1/4". Problem was a out of square joist, but they kept on rockin and rollin.
4. What length screws to use on the 5/8" rock on the ceiling?
1. No, I don't use screws on wood framing, but many people use all screws. (Worst nailing damage is usually from hangers who use square-faced roofing hatchets instead of round-faced drywall hatchets.) Where paper is torn, needs to be taped or nails will "pop".
2. No. It is avoidable.
3. Butt Backers are fine.
4. 1-1/4" screws AND glue on ceiling and walls.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier. Support our troops.
Last edited by bjbatlanta; 05-10-2010 at 08:40 AM.