Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Getting a skim coat to stick on old plaster

Hi,
I have a roughly 3x3 area in my bathroom where layers and layers of paint have peeled off. It has exposed the original plaster finish layer and probably the original lead based paint. I have used a gel based stripper to safely remove the lead paint.
The removed paint has left the area about 1/16" lower than the surrounding un-peeled area. I need to build that out using a few skim coats.
My question is if there is anything I can use other than JC or anything I can do to the JC to make it stick to this plaster/old paint surface better?

The stud space behind the wall where it peeled is where my sewage vent pipe comes from the basement up to the ceiling. I imagine the temperature variations caused by this led to the peeling.
Other than tearing out the plaster and making this a huge project there is little to do to insulate this stud space.

So to account for moisture and temperature variations can I put a coat of bonding primer or other water barrier up first?

I know I kind of jump all over in my questions but I think you see what I am up against.
Any insight or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

j_sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

Roll on a coat of 'Guards'--that primer should seal the old plaster well enough to allow you to skim coat with joint compound---

Use 'Multi purpose--green lid---that mud contains glue and will give you good results.

As to the moisture behind the wall---there may be cold air entering from the attic--if so ,seal the opening with some great stuff low expanding foam.

I've also seen splits in old iron vents that are as old as yours---Do check that out---Mike---

Old 05-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike
Roll on a coat of 'Guards'--that primer should seal the old plaster well enough to allow you to skim coat with joint compound---

Use 'Multi purpose--green lid---that mud contains glue and will give you good results.

As to the moisture behind the wall---there may be cold air entering from the attic--if so ,seal the opening with some great stuff low expanding foam.

I've also seen splits in old iron vents that are as old as yours---Do check that out---Mike---
Thanks for the advice. Will Zinsser B-I-N primer work as I have a quart of it already?
j_sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

Yes it will---fine product---
j_sun (05-30-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 83

Keeping inline with the OP's Post Tittle --- I'm looking to skim an entryway that hs some old plater that's been painted over plenty of times and has a myriad of cracks and even some hardened bubbles --- what's the best way to attack this>

Scrap the surface with a 4/6" putty knife to try and get the entire surface flat, apply bonding primer, apply skim of joint compound with plater of paris mix using plaster trowel or 10" putty knife ?

Best,

Harry.
hboogz is offline   Reply With Quote