Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #1

Share |

Getting Drywall up into an attic

I am in the process of finishing my attic and need to bring drywall up there to finish. I am not able to fit it through the stairwell because of the angle. I may however be able to fit it thourgh if I cut all of the pieces into 4' lengths, but this maybe time consuming. I have windows on each side in the attic and was thinking of rigging some sort of a hoist or something to bring them up. does anyone have any ideas? The attic is about 30' up. Thanks
Hunter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:11 PM   #2

if your attic windows are big enough, find a lumber yard with a hoist truck (assuming you have not already purchased...)
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Household Handyman

Measure the attic stairwell opening to see if the sheet will go straight up. IF there is the 48" needed to go straight up, then remove the attic step springs VERY CAREFULLY, take the linkage apart. This should allow the stairs to hang straight down while folded up. Then IF you're ceiling height in the hall permits, and you're attic height permits, you can hand the sheets up to someone already in the attic.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #4

A friend of mine just did the same thing except he cut every thing into 2' X 8' sheets to get them through the attic opening. Twice as much tapeing to do. He purchased one of those wallboarders buddies to cut all the sheets in half and said it would of taken him twice as long without it. You must have a large opening if you can get a 4' X 4' sheet up there. Even if yoou can get them up to the window will a 4 X 8 sheet fit through
masterofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:13 PM   #5

Is the stairwell of legal size for egress?

Is the width too narrow?

Is the headroom to short?

A picture would help..... Other than a drywall suppliers boom truck, as mentioned.

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:11 AM   #6
Stay-at-home GC

If there is a drywall ceiling below the attic, you can cut a 5' section out between two joists and pass them through. Have the finishers patch the hole while they are there.

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CplDevilDog For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-02-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Drywall contractor

A drywall supply yard will have a boom truck and can stock the board through the window IF it's big enough (48" tall at least). They (or you) can remove the sash and replace after stocking the board. If that doesn't work, I'd opt for handing it up through the floor (as suggested above). Patching the ceiling below will require much less finishing than cutting all of the boards in half....

Last edited by bjbatlanta; 02-02-2011 at 02:53 PM.
bjbatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #8

except if your boarding the walls you probably have a floor to work on and repairing that could be a pain in the butt with less a than desireable appearance.
masterofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
Drywall contractor

If it's an unfinished attic/bonus room, the floor would be unfinished too, I would assume. Pull up a sheet of plywood, get the board up there, replace the plywood. Put your carpet, laminate, or whatever down and you'll never know the difference....
Old 02-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
Experienced

I would guess that the OP has solved the problem as the original post was 3 days ago and is the only one regarding this subject, don't you just love that, I know I do.

Mark
Old 02-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
Drywall contractor

You're probably right, but a little more input for someone doing a search of the subject in the future doesn't hurt....
Willie T (03-23-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #12

My thoughts exactly! I would answer a post that was two years old and "someone" would say- That post is over two years old! (Like the information for the solution has not changed........) In researching a subject, I often find new information that is 12 years old, but new to me; then I can follow up on the new thought to get proof or today's ideas on it. Very helpful.

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #13
old guy contractor

We had this problem on a jobsite and the brilliant drywaller scored the back of the drywall and folded it in half.
Got it up into the space and unfolded and hung.
He made his "folds" on stud layout.
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #14
Experienced

Alright, point taken, didn't mean anything by the observation that the OP appears to have never returned, just an observation, but you gentlement bring to the table a very valid point.

Thank-you for that.

Mark
Old 02-03-2011, 06:01 AM   #15

Sorry everyone. got sidetracked with the snow storms. My apologies. Well, I haven't figured out what I am going to do with the dry wall yet. I like both ideas of the boom truck and maybe cutting into smaller pieces. My brother in law suggested rigging a pully system and bring them up through a window but that seem a bit difficult. I am thinking of trying to see if I can get a 6' sheet through the door and then see what happens. I am still a little ways from actually starting the drywall so it maybe another couple of weeks. The insulation is going in next week and then I will start the floor. I am going to rin intot he same problem with the plywood for the flooring as with the dry wall so that will be my test. Thank you everyone for your input and I will post updates as i go. I think this is going to be a long process. Thanks again
Hunter25 is offline   Reply With Quote