Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Neptune, NJ
Posts: 77
Share |
Default

Gaps


Hi All,

I've finished framing a room in the basement and my next step is drywalling; however, I'm concerned about the evenness of the walls.

I have a six foot spirit level that I used for a straight edge. If I hold it horizontally and press it up against the wall studs, the studs don't line up exactly. Some of the studs are off by almost 1/8th of an inch.

Is this adequate for smooth looking walls?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Bob Guercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 160
Default

Gaps


No, if you throw drywall up on uneven studs at best, you will have "waves" in the drywall and worst case you will crack the board or pull the screw through the board trying to seat it.

I had a few studs out of alignment (which luckily were all set back from the others) so I made small shims to plumb them up.

Good luck!

Jason

stradt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Neptune, NJ
Posts: 77
Default

Gaps


Quote:
Originally Posted by stradt03 View Post
No, if you throw drywall up on uneven studs at best, you will have "waves" in the drywall and worst case you will crack the board or pull the screw through the board trying to seat it.

I had a few studs out of alignment (which luckily were all set back from the others) so I made small shims to plumb them up.

Good luck!

Jason
Thanks Jason.

It's going to be quite easy for me because I toed the studs in with screws so to move them in or out an eighth of an inch will be a snap.

Thanks again,

Bob
Bob Guercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,968
Default

Gaps


Probably more info than you asked for, others reading may benefit.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Floating corners, primer before and after texturing, etc.: http://gypsum.org/pdf/GA-216-2010.html

Be sure to have required egress in case of fire; http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...33otStRi7Aff7g

Fire-block the walls and ceiling. Foam board the rims, air seal the drywall.
http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...002_par031.htm

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...-at-rim-joist/

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...wall-approach/

The studs need to plane all over (hence the shims for the middles), top-bottom-middle. The bottom will really be noticeable if adding base or shoe moulding......

Gary
__________________
If any ads are present in my answer above, I do not condone/support/use the product or services listed, they are there against my permission.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
liscenced electrician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oregon coast
Posts: 983
Default

Gaps


Tar paper makes a good shin if you need real thin, like where 1/8 paneling is too thick. Just double it up until you get to the right thickness
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Neptune, NJ
Posts: 77
Default

Gaps


Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy21 View Post
Tar paper makes a good shin if you need real thin, like where 1/8 paneling is too thick. Just double it up until you get to the right thickness
What is 1/8 paneling?

Bob
Bob Guercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 160
Default

Gaps


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Guercio View Post
What is 1/8 paneling?

Bob
I'm assuming he means 1/8" paneling.
stradt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
Member
 
Missouri Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Almost Arkansas
Posts: 2,764
Default

Gaps


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Guercio View Post
Hi All,

I've finished framing a room in the basement and my next step is drywalling; however, I'm concerned about the evenness of the walls.

I have a six foot spirit level that I used for a straight edge. If I hold it horizontally and press it up against the wall studs, the studs don't line up exactly. Some of the studs are off by almost 1/8th of an inch.

Is this adequate for smooth looking walls?

Thanks in advance,

Bob
Take your level upstairs and do the same with existing walls. I'd be surprised if you didn't find the same thing. An 1/8" is not something any framing carpenter worry's about.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
Too Old
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South of North
Posts: 345
Default

Gaps


Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
Take your level upstairs and do the same with existing walls. I'd be surprised if you didn't find the same thing. An 1/8" is not something any framing carpenter worry's about.

1/8" is nothing. Make sure you check your top plates and at least every 1/3rd of wall. You will notice an 1/8" more on the ceiling corner then you will on the wall.
__________________
"Yeah, it's a nice garage, but you have to keep it heated at all times so it doesn't mess up your roof line."
havalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #10
Next Time...New Build
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 192
Default

Gaps


Obviously too late, but always put the crown on the stud towards you when building the wall. This way you can come back with the planer and even things out.

RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gaps in my hardwood floors jpc Flooring 3 06-18-2011 06:08 AM
cutting expansion gaps in underlayment boxy_brown Flooring 6 03-27-2010 04:54 PM
how to fill the gaps between concrete blocks? micapavlov Building & Construction 4 01-03-2010 04:53 PM
Purpose of gaps between sheets of plywood? diy888 Tiling, ceramics, marble 35 02-16-2009 11:01 AM
baseboard trim gaps on stairs beppygirl General DIY Discussions 8 02-24-2008 01:31 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.