Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Gap at concrete backerboard to tub lip transition

I wasn't sure which forum to post this in, so forgive me if it is in the wrong place...

I am finishing my basement including a full bath, and have run into an issue where my concrete backerboard buts up to my tub lip. I was trying to follow an article from Family Handyman when I installed my tub and backerboard. Unfortunately, I realized that I messed up by not shimming the backerboard out so that it could lay over the tub lip. So, basically, I ended up with the following (essentially I used the 'short lip' method on a 'tall lip' tub):

instead of what is shown at the bottom of this:

So, my questions at this point are:

- What can/should I use to fill in the gap between the back of the tile and the tub lip? Can I just fill it in with extra thinset or grout? Could I use quickset mud? What about the plastic? Will it cause an issue?
- Should I just remove the backerboard, shim, and reinstall? (really don't want to do this unless absolutely necessary)
- Any other options to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

ToHellWithUGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #2

You run a bead of silicone caulk in that gap.

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2k View Post
You run a bead of silicone caulk in that gap.
Thanks, Seattle2k. It's a pretty huge gap, though. I'm talking about the gap shown in red below (not the gap between the bottom of tile and the tub). Can I just leave that part empty, and caulk between the tile/tub gap? Will the grout stay between the tiles if there is nothing behind them in that area?

Old 04-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 24

Fill that gap with thinset---then waterproof the wall--of full as you tile if a surface waterproofing will not be used---
Old 04-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Fill that gap with thinset---then waterproof the wall--of full as you tile if a surface waterproofing will not be used---
Thanks, Mike. So, do you mean to just waterproof the thinset part that I filled in? Or do you mean to waterproof the entire thing? I already have plastic behind the backerboard (I have read that some of you disagree with this, but it is already done now, so...).
Old 04-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #6

As a follow-up question, where would you cut the plastic vapor barrier? And would you do this before or after filling in the thinset?

Old 04-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
Rob

Rewards Points: 24

I would go with 3, and cut before the thinset. The flat/straight edge of the notch trowel is for water proofing, spread the thinset with it over the whole area you are going to tile and then notch. Do a small area at a time until you get use to it. It should say this on the bag of thinset how to use it as water proofing.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToHellWithUGA View Post
Thanks, Mike. So, do you mean to just waterproof the thinset part that I filled in? Or do you mean to waterproof the entire thing? I already have plastic behind the backerboard (I have read that some of you disagree with this, but it is already done now, so...).
I believe he meant for you to waterproof the whole cement board, but being you have the plastic behind the board, DO NOT waterproof the cement board.

B

Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote