Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Gap between bathtub and wall. Please help :(

Hello everyone, this is my very first bathroom remodel and I think I've hit a dead end. It is almost time for me to tile but there is a 1/4 inch gap between my tub lip and shower wall at the bottom only on one side. The other sides are good. Does anyone have any Idea how I can fix this problem?

I have attached 3 pictures for reference.

Thanks in advance,

Randre`
Attached Thumbnails
Gap between bathtub and wall. Please help :(-img_0028.jpg   Gap between bathtub and wall. Please help :(-img_0030.jpg   Gap between bathtub and wall. Please help :(-img_0029.jpg  

randre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to randre For This Useful Post:
titanoman (12-14-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Wow. I think I'll pass on this one.
(Except to say that if I had this problem in my own home, I would first move/remodel the wall if at all possible; or use 3/4" firring strips every 16" and sheetrock the wall again, which would also involve a little plumbing to bring the fixtures out further).
But that's just what I would do.
(And you have a lot more than 1/4" gap it looks like)

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

Last edited by titanoman; 12-14-2011 at 06:26 PM.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
DIY staff

Please show the other side ,too.

Tub must be installed against the raw studs---held with a few roofing nails or screws and washers--

Then the wall is rocked--bringing the rock to the top of the flange----

More details---you aren't the first one to make this mistake---we will walk you through fixing it.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #4

I really think you need to start over. Usually the tub goes in first then the concrete board., which sits on the tub lip. Assuming that your tub is 60" then your rough framing should of been just a little over 60". Just enough to slip the tub in. then install the concrete board so that it sits on top of the lip of the tub and actually over hangs it some.
paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #5

First of all, like was said above, the tub goes against the framing. Second, while it's hard to tell, I would say that is substantially more than 1/4. What is still stuck to the back of the tub? Looks like whatever that is, is 1/2. I agree with the above comment. You need to take a step backward. Remove the tub and repair the framing. It also seems the room is not square,that's why the back of the tub is closer to the wall than the front edge. Can you post pics from farther back? That will help determine the best course of action.
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #6

Thanks for all the ideas so far guys! I have attached some more pics from farther away and of the other side. The main long wall has 1/4 inch furring strips bolted into the cinder block behind it and the sheetrock screws into that but still did not clear the lip of the tub . I was under the impression that the 11.75 x 24 inch tile I plan on putting in will put me safely over the lip.
The wall with all the plumbing hardware has no ferring strips, just the durock bolted into the 2x6 beams. I like the idea about taking down, putting furrings strips, and then extending the plumbing but then the main wall won't line up.

The framing for the tub consists of a single 2x4 bolted to the cinder-block wall behind it. Unfortunately I cannot bring it any closer to the wall because the drain hole was built in the 1960's out too far.

ohmike, I put some drywall scews along the lip that goes into the ferring strips behind it. Is that ok?

Packer_rich, The room is form the 1960s and NOTING lines up right. That is just an extra piece of durock cement board I slid in there for no good reason.

Question...The sheet rock is supposed to stop on top of the lip? If so can I just use a dremel and cuit it off in pieces?

Thanks again everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Gap between bathtub and wall. Please help :(-img_0031.jpg   Gap between bathtub and wall. Please help :(-img_0032.jpg   Gap between bathtub and wall. Please help :(-img_0033.jpg   Gap between bathtub and wall. Please help :(-img_0034.jpg   Gap between bathtub and wall. Please help :(-img_0035.jpg  

Old 12-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
Disabled wood vet

Whoever framed those walls will surly go to carpenter hell. Refer to post 2.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
DIY staff

Will the tile clear the tub lip on the right end?

If so---I would pull the plumbing forward another 1/2 or 3/4 inches---then over lay another layer of rock on the back wall and the plumbing wall---add drywall over the top in the drywalled part of the room and get ready to tile---The gap at the tub lip gets filled with thinset as you tile--
Old 12-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post

If so---I would pull the plumbing forward another 1/2 or 3/4 inches---then over lay another layer of rock on the back wall and the plumbing wall---add drywall over the top in the drywalled part of the room and get ready to tile---The gap at the tub lip gets filled with thinset as you tile--
I think they need another layer of underlayment on that wall too.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
DIY staff

Possibly so----
Old 12-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post

Ok then this is what I will have to do. Yes the far right wall clears the tub but the other two walls do not. So This weekend I will get buy more durok and add on to the existing durock. Hopefully the old beams hold the weight because I have another bathroom right behind this one.

Thanks for the tips guys. You saved me from making a big mistake.
The Following User Says Thank You to randre For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-14-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
I think they need another layer of underlayment on that wall too.
what is underlayment?
Old 12-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #13

From what I can see in the pics, the tub needs to be "rotated". At the foot of the tub there is a gap on the left and the durock is over the right edge. On the head end the tub has an opposite condition. So, if you were standing above the tub looking down,the tub would need to be "rotated" clockwise. That would make the tub more parallel with those two walls. I hope that makes sense. That being said, I don.t know how that affects the long side of the tub. It's kind of hard to get a good look on the internet, but I hope this helps
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #14
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by randre View Post
what is underlayment?
Its what the tile glues to.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #15
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer_rich View Post
From what I can see in the pics, the tub needs to be "rotated". At the foot of the tub there is a gap on the left and the durock is over the right edge. On the head end the tub has an opposite condition. So, if you were standing above the tub looking down,the tub would need to be "rotated" clockwise. That would make the tub more parallel with those two walls. I hope that makes sense. That being said, I don.t know how that affects the long side of the tub. It's kind of hard to get a good look on the internet, but I hope this helps
I think that wall has a big bow in it.