Framing A Wall Over Porcelain Tile - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Framing a wall over porcelain tile

I am finishing out a 3 car garage with two bedrooms and a rec room. Since I plan on taking the walls down when the kids go I tiled the floor first. I knew that I couldn't shoot the floor to frame walls without shattering the tile but, I thought that I could drill anchors. Seems like that might have been a bad idea now. I have a 3/16 grout line. I don't suppose it would be possible to use steel base plate with 3/16 or 1/8 screws into the grout to anchor the base plate. The walls are 10ft.

If I have to, I guess I can saw cut the tile to properly anchor the walls. What a shame to cut up my brand new tile work. I'm looking for an option that minimizes damage to the porcelain tile.

Options?

Advertisement

Gentleman Farme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,276

Glue------I have successfully glued the bottom plates using PL 200(?)---read the labels

I've done this several times with no trouble,when finishing basements that have hydronic heating.

The other alternative would be drill and tapcons----I'm not sure which will make a bigger mess.

That glue might be a big job to remove.---Mike--

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I found some drill bits that will work for porcelain tile. What size/kind of anchors should I use?
Gentleman Farme is offline   Reply With Quote