Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Framing for Drywall

I am planning out my framing on 16 inch centers though in my plans when I go to install the drywall I will be a .5 inch off center because of the thickness of the drywall.

To further explain lets say I have a square room where I built the framing on 16 inch centers and put up the first wall of drywall. Now though on the second wall the drywall sticks out .5" and I am off by .5 all the way down the wall.

I am new at this and luckily planning ahead and just need some of those pro tips to make this successful.

Thanks

buildit45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #2

Framing for Drywall

You just have to trim the first sheet of drywall 1/2 inch. Put the cut edge to the corner where it will be hidden by the drywall tape and mud.

packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 26

Framing for Drywall

Could have planned for this in the original layout but now all you have to do is trim 1/2" off the first board to get back on course. Do it when starting each wall.

SIMULPOST
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #4

Framing for Drywall

Sounds like he hasn't framed it yet. I layout my framing to allow for the offset of sheet goods on smaller projects, garages, additions, basements, etc.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:07 AM   #5

Framing for Drywall

Hello friend very nice one post here. Keep it up...!
johnhawk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Framing for Drywall

put your first stud from each corner set at 15 1/2 "center, the 16" center from that point on

good luck
coupe
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
Too Old

Framing for Drywall

Keep the stud layout at 16"oc from the corner backing, this way you will always have a good layout but you will have to cut the 1st sheet. Being that you stagger the joints you will have to cut the sheet anyways and you are not really cutting 1/2" off the 1st piece but more like 32 1/2" to start the layout.
If you make up for the 1/2" on the 1st sheet what happens when you get to a corner and start the next wall?
Unless you have time to do the drywall layout for the stud layout and expect a perfect fit for all pieces you will be cutting drywall when you hang it.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #8

Framing for Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
put your first stud from each corner set at 15 1/2 "center, the 16" center from that point on

good luck
coupe

This is what i did. Worked well.
nateshirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Framing for Drywall

CLICK HERE to get an idea of how both firring strips and studs are set to make the edges of your drywall fall correctly.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drywall, framing