Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

Framing around 6" HRV duct

Hi, I'd like to know what would be the smallest way to frame around an HRV duct to hang 5/8 drywall.

See pictures:

http://1drv.ms/1eFKRaB

The duct is 6" and the upper part of drywall will be partly removed to put the duct closer to the wall (yes every 5/8" counts!)

I need to take the last space in order to make sure my door will continue to open.

Thanks!

jfmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Are you talking about boxing in the duct - like a soffet? If so, why 5/8 sheetrock? Is this for a fire code requirement?

Based upon the answers, I can give you more guidance and how to DIY.

DL's husband is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DL's husband For This Useful Post:
jfmartel (02-25-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #3

The room behind is the noisy furnace room.

The duct is a fresh air exhaus for the basement. Since I cant pass it thru the stud, I need to box it. I'll add suspended ceiling after.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #4

Okay.

Then it appears that you can do with by simply framing it in with 2X4. If you want, I can type out the steps to do this (basically walk you through it step by step).
jfmartel (02-25-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #5

Sorry - please provide these dimensions:
1 - Measurement between the left and right walls
2 - Measurement between the bottom of the ceiling joist and bottom of the flex duct (which should equal the measurement from the wall to the front/face of the duct).

I've framed in ducting such as this in the past. Mostly in kitchens where I needed to move cabinets and build a soffet over them to rout range hood ducting outside.

Please don't take offense if I seem to be 'preachy'.
jfmartel (02-25-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

You can box it in with 2x4's and drywall. But since you are using a drop ceiling you can install a drop ceiling under duct too.
Install your drywall first. Nail/screw a 2x4 across the bottom of floor joists. Then nail a 1x8 hanging down from 2x4. Attach wall angle for suspended ceiling to bottom of 1x8 using 5/8 or less screws and glue. Then attach it normally on studded wall. Then use your drop ceiling grid to plumb 1x8 and pop rivet grid to both sides.
A 1x8 seems flimsy but once it is all pop rivited together its as strong a being framed.
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JustinK For This Useful Post:
jfmartel (02-25-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #7

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

I didn't know that 1x8 existed..

Justink not quite sure about the last part of your plan. Do I understand that the ceiling is under the whole box part?

I just drawed what I was thinking of the final result. Did that in 2 min on a post-it...

http://1drv.ms/1c1o3bb

As for the measurement DL's husband, the room has 11' wide and the height is just under 8' at 92". Not sure about the 2nd dimension you want. The duct is 6" wide, so 86" inch? I plan to squeeze at maximum the space avaiable so I can open the door freely (the door maximum opening should go below the duct box).

The thing I'm concerned is how to succesfully hang piece A and B together with enough strength to hold drywall and the ceiling without taking too much space (door opening). Can you screw 2 1x8 together without breaking it?

My english is not perfect in writing and understanding, sorry about that.

Again, thanks for taking time to reply.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

A 1x8 is finished board that you can stain or paint avoiding the hassle of drywall spackling. I was talking about putting drop ceiling tiles underneath. After looking at it again the depth looks shorter a little to short to put ceiling tiles in a 8" inch space.
You could use at other 1x8 for the bottom too. glue and trim nail the corner and it will be strong. If you have a table saw you can miter(45) the corner edge for a better look. You would need an cleat board on wall to nail bottom 1x8 up into it.
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JustinK For This Useful Post:
jfmartel (02-25-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

IMO, check with your local AHJ if furnace room requires drywall/gyproc on the floor joists above, THEN a drop ceiling--- the room may require metal where it passes through wall (rough opening), better to check... ask them if you could use some 4-5" smooth-wall ducting with the HRV, then transition to the flex (usually rated one-size up from smooth-wall). outside the doorway area for more headroom at the door open-swing....

Gary
jfmartel (02-25-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
A 1x8 is finished board that you can stain or paint avoiding the hassle of drywall spackling. I was talking about putting drop ceiling tiles underneath. After looking at it again the depth looks shorter a little to short to put ceiling tiles in a 8" inch space.
You could use at other 1x8 for the bottom too. glue and trim nail the corner and it will be strong. If you have a table saw you can miter(45) the corner edge for a better look. You would need an cleat board on wall to nail bottom 1x8 up into it.
Good idea to stain the thing instead of drywall. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in WA View Post
IMO, check with your local AHJ if furnace room requires drywall/gyproc on the floor joists above, THEN a drop ceiling--- the room may require metal where it passes through wall (rough opening), better to check... ask them if you could use some 4-5" smooth-wall ducting with the HRV, then transition to the flex (usually rated one-size up from smooth-wall). outside the doorway area for more headroom at the door open-swing....

Gary
I dont think I require anything new. The passage between the rooms have been there forever. I just took the duct from furnace room to basement room and then it passes thru my the floor, goes thru closet at the main floor and then to the attic.

Thanks for your input.
The Following User Says Thank You to jfmartel For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (02-24-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #11

Just to add information, the piece is 90" height, and the door frame is at 82". The door is not installed yet, so maybe 81".
Old 03-21-2014, 10:38 PM   #12

Your duct doesn't appear to be insulated, and being in Quebec, I'd be concerned that your duct will ice over on the outside and then melt and drip all over your ceiling when things warm up. What is this duct connected to?
readar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by readar View Post
Your duct doesn't appear to be insulated, and being in Quebec, I'd be concerned that your duct will ice over on the outside and then melt and drip all over your ceiling when things warm up. What is this duct connected to?
The attic part is insulated.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,514

If vertical height is not of concern, use 7" oval. Run it in a vertical plane, its only 3 1/4" thick/wide.

Pages 10 and 11.

http://www.southwarkmetal.com/files/...PA_Catalog.pdf