Fourth Coat? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 562

fourth coat?

This is my first construction project. Framing was bad and hanging the drywall was bad. (Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement, poor judgement comes from lack of experience). So what chance did the mudding have?

After the tape I figured my only chance was to rip it down and start over, but I pressed on.
After the 2nd coat it looked better; I mean, its just a basement and some of the other walls are just blankets of insulation...
After the 3rd coat; it looked better, maybe with a fourth coat...

Assuming there is nothing sacred about 3 coats, do I just put on a fourth coat like the third, or do I sand first?

Advertisement

Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

fourth coat?

It's the thickness that counts, not the number of coats. I think you're supposed to keep the mud under 1/4" total thickness but I forgot where I read that. It's up to you whether to sand between coats. Many people just chip off high spots. With that many coats, go easy on smoothing with a wet sponge, if you're doing that, because the more you wet the mud the more you break the bond with the wall.

Advertisement

Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #3

fourth coat?

People seem to be saying that 1/4" maximum thickness is preferable but you can go up to 1/2".
Old 03-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 512

fourth coat?

do as many coats as needed. 3 coats is the norm for regular new drywall. coating some bad butts can sometimes take 4-5 coats. If its really nasty i would either repair the wall/drywall before mudding. if that is easier said then done then i would tape it then mix up some thick sheetrock 20,45,90. and load the bad joint 1/4" thick. then skim it with my regular regular 2nd,3rd coat mud. 1/2" thick one coat? i think its possible unless you scoop the mud out and just slap it on.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to princelake For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-09-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,222

fourth coat?

If three coats always worked I would be very happy-----like Prince Lake said---use as many coats as you need to feather out a seam----
Old 03-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #6

fourth coat?

I didn't mean 1/2" in one coat. As many coats as you want.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 512

fourth coat?

i've skimmed out some nasty joints that were close to an inch. by the time im done its 8' wide and 6-7 coats later.and i've noticed on some premixed compound boxes that it says you can apply it up to a 1/4" thick. although you will get nasty bubbling. so lay it on thick with the powdered then do thin tight skims with the premix.

Advertisement

princelake is offline   Reply With Quote