Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #1

Share |

Found mold in the drywall - now what?

We are in the process of tearing out an old shower and have found mold behind the tiles and in the drywall. We are planning to remove the drywall and totally start from scratch. Is there a special precaution we should take in removing this moldy drywall? Thanks!
Rileyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Just wear a mask. Remove and dispose of it. Let the studs dry out after cleaning with bleach and water. Use 1/2 cement board not drywall under the new tiles. Seal the seams. Paint with Redgard for waterproofing and you are ready to tile.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #3

hopefully its just a little bit of mold, and your josts/studs are not rotted out. this can happen in showers where drywall was used!

otherwise, follow bob's advice. i might add for clarity sakes that "seal the seams" does not mean use drywall mud - never use dywall mud in a shower area. also, the bucket of redguard has written instructions on it which tells you how thick you need to apply it for given application.

good luck & post some pics when you're done!
Knucklez
Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

okay to clear my statement up. Seal the seams with mesh drywall tape and thinset.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #5

I was told you should not use drywall tape for backer board seams. They make a special tape for these seams that is alkali reistant.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

I suggested mesh tape, this is fiberglass, not the paper drywall tape which can feed mold.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #7

I thought that you had to use the mesh tape made for backer board seams? So you can just use normal mesh tape, just like drywall? The drywall section at all the box stores has the normal mesh tape for drywall and then they have the mesh tape made for backerboard, what is the difference then? I know you know more than me Bob so not trying to say your wrong, just trying to learn.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Remodeling Contractor

Maybe just there for convenience? You are going to cover it with Redgard anyway, so I would not be too concerned. And yes you use an open mesh (for the thinset to fill in) alkali-resistent fiberglass mesh tape. I buy my supplies at a tile supplier and drywall supplies at a drywall supplier. If there is a difference that is important, I would not know for sure. I do all trades, but have each trade separated by it's supplies and tools.