Foam Tape For Noise Reduction? Vent Extension? Drywalling Ceiling - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22

Foam tape for noise reduction? vent extension? drywalling ceiling

I have almost no experience in handy work. And I have never worked with drywall before. I have an unfinished basement and am trying to put up a ceiling while reducing noise from upstairs. All i have done so far is install noise reducing batt insulation.

Closed cell or open cell foam tape to reduce sound? The idea is that I'll use this between the floor joists and the drywall of my basement ceiling. They are supposed to reduce the squeeking/vibration type of noise? correct? And theoretically I would think they'd help level in place of strapping and leave room for some cables running on underside of joists. I assume I need the foam tape only where I'm screwing the drywall in, and not the whole length of joists? Please help, I tried asking people at Home Depot, nobody had any idea what I was talking about. I can not seem to find the Acousti-Gasket foam tape local

[links weren't allowed]

Also, I had to move some duct work up to fit the insulation. The vent boots are now 1/2 inch above the floor joists. Do I need to extend these? If I do, then I assume I need to extend before screwing up drywall?

Sorry if this post is in wrong thread.

Advertisement

Last edited by just_a_guy; 10-22-2014 at 08:52 PM.
just_a_guy is offline   Reply With Quote