Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #1

Share |

Flat wall 1/2" Transition Suggestions

Sorry about the ambiguous title - I couldn't figure out what to title the post.

So, I have added 1/2" drywall to existing drywall (long story as to why and why I didn't use 1/4" or 3/8"). This is in our living room, dining room, and hallway. It really isn't all that large of a space actually. Problem is that our kitchen is going to have to wait for some months due to budget issues because it will need to be completed updated.

The dining room and kitchen share one wall - meaning if you are looking at one continuous flat wall the right half is the dining room and the left half is kitchen (and where the cabinets start). There is no break or transition at all really, except for the floor changes. Not the best design setup, but it is what it is. So my problem is this - the added depth of the drywall is only on the right side, meaning the transition looks pretty bad.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to creative transitions between the two. I will have to take pictures and post them as it is hard to explain, but until then I welcome any suggestions. Thanks!

Mike

shelzmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #2

So there is a half inch difference between the two?

My first thought would be to put a J-bead over the exposed edge, and then butt some trim of some kind up against it, with the trim flush as possible to the half inch build out. Floor to ceiling. Something that will match the rest of the place. Maybe even some half inch quarter round will blend it in, you may or may not need the J-trim on the drywall edge, hard to say without seeing it.

chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #3

Add moulding and make it look like a bump out in the wall there? Or you could even put a couple of 2x4's on the wall and drywall around it creating a false post.
Is the rest of the wal getting drywalled later, then it will be smooth?
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #4

i agree with chrisbc!
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to princelake For This Useful Post:
chrisBC (02-24-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Yep. J-mold sounds like it will serve the purpose for the time being. Available at HD or Lowes....