DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Drywall & Plaster (
-   -   Fixing outside corner bead that is cracked, other finshing q's? (

wheelsup 04-24-2013 04:40 PM

Fixing outside corner bead that is cracked, other finshing q's?
1 Attachment(s)
I have a home that had some pretty "quick" drywall finishing done to it. Some of the outside corner bead is cracked. I don't believe it's because of a lack of fusion because there is no play when you push on it.

What is the easiest way to fix this? I'm OK with just "covering it up" as long as it won't crack immediately afterward. House is around 8 years old so my guess is it's due to settling. BUT not sure if that will work. I was thinking of gouging out around the crack and then filling in with joint compound. Where the crack stops I was going to go horizontal toward the corner as a way of possibly preventing further cracks propagating upward.

Also I have some inside corners that are cracked. Again doesn't appear as though there is a complete lack of fusion only because the rest of the paper still looks decent. Can these be caulked?

Last question. On the trim molding, some of the caulking is cracked and looks bad. We are prepping the walls to be painted and I want to get the best possible finish. Can I just re-caulk the molding? You can see some of the cracked caulking in the picture as well.


Seattle2k 04-25-2013 04:06 PM

You would have to remove the compound around the crack w/ a metal putty knife, then re-mud, texture, prime and paint.

Though, i'd probably just spackle the crack, prime and paint.

Seattle2k 04-25-2013 04:08 PM

You already know the answers... Yes, you can run paintable caulk at the inside corners and you can re-caulk the molding.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1