Fixing Horrible Wall Choices - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Gymschu
  • 1 Post By hyunelan2
  • 1 Post By Workaholic

Old 03-16-2017, 08:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Fixing horrible wall choices

Hello,

My girlfriend and I will soon be moving into a new house. The previous owners had some... Interesting.. tastes when it comes to wall textures. These will be the first things we attempt to fix prior to actually moving in. I've searched everywhere and haven't been able to find out exactly what this is and if it's regular mud or could be something else.

The one wall that's more tan I think should be relatively easy to sand down the high parts and skim coat to create a smooth surface.

The others though, what can I do? Will a power drywall sander even be able to handle it? I've never seen texture on a wall so thick before. The rest of the house is a more normalish orange peel (normal to TX).

Ultimate goal would be to skim coat the entire house and shoot for 100% smooth walls, but we'll see what we can do with these rooms first.

Any help would be appreciated!

Advertisement

cymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:54 AM   #2

Re: Fixing horrible wall choices

Attempting to post photos, but doesn't appear I'm allowed to. Either embedded images or links to Imgur..

Advertisement

Old 03-16-2017, 09:00 AM   #3

Last edited by cymachine; 03-16-2017 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Images

Old 03-16-2017, 09:14 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 846

Looks like versions of "Venetian Plaster" or, at the very least, an imitation of Venetian Plaster. It's going to be a tough battle fixing it. You would almost be better off just demo-ing what's on there now and installing new wall board. In the last pic, you may be able to aggressively sand off the high spots and do some repairs to get it flat and smooth again, but, it will be lots and lots of work and it will create lots and lots of dust.

You could attempt some skim coating, but some of that stuff is so deep and thick that it will take 3 or 4 coats of skim coating to bring it back to smooth.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:47 AM   #5

That's the direction I was going as well. Whenever people say "rough texture" this is 10x that. Unknown how much sanding it would take to get those first 3 pictures remotely close to flat. The only positive is that there are only 2 rooms that have this, and they aren't huge.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #6
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 692

I think I'm going to agree with above that the best bet will be to remove the entire wall and put up new drywall. It's probably less work in the long run.
ChuckF. likes this.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:10 AM   #7
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,866

I'm with Gymshoe and Hunylean.... replacement is going to be easier and better finish.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:50 AM   #8

Guess it's time to find a drywall guy, or see if I have beginner's luck!
Old 03-16-2017, 10:08 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymachine View Post
Guess it's time to find a drywall guy, or see if I have beginner's luck!
At the very least you can demo it yourself. That's less work that what you were thinking of doing.
ChuckF. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:08 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 268

Quote:
That's the direction I was going as well. Whenever people say "rough texture" this is 10x that. Unknown how much sanding it would take to get those first 3 pictures remotely close to flat. The only positive is that there are only 2 rooms that have this, and they aren't huge.
If it is just two rooms with the Venetian Plaster look another option rather than a complete drywall gut could be FibaFuse 36" wide wall reinforcement sheets. I have used the product on some mangled walls before and the product works great for that.

https://www.amazon.com/FibaTape-inch.../dp/B008RGX128
http://www.walltools.com/fibafuse-pa...fdw8443-u.html (some decent pdf files that pertain to the product.)

Fibafuse is bedded in like paper tape but has the added benefit of quicker dry time and deeper bedding as the mud gets pushed into the Fibafuse.

Either a rip out or properly bedded FF will work but you will have to weigh the options on which way is going to be best for you.

Also to be clear after bedding I would topcoat the FF with another coat of mud or two as needed. The short video gives the impression that after bedding it is ready for finishing, but I like additional coat/coats and considering your surface additional will be the way to go imo.

FF is a fiberglass product so treat it as such if you look further into it.
Imo 36" FF is really more of a professionals product, but this is a diy forum and I have seen some top notch diy skills before but as with anything diy your results may vary.

Last edited by Workaholic; 03-17-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
Sir MixAlot (03-20-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 10:50 AM   #11

That could potentially work. Or, I could forego a potential "I told you so" from the girlfriend and have a pro come in...
Old 03-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 268

Quote:
That could potentially work. Or, I could forego a potential "I told you so" from the girlfriend and have a pro come in...
For a small cost you could pick up a 75' roll at Home Depot, and then do a small 3'x1'' test area to help you decide without committing to it, but of course if $ is not a factor go with the pro.
Sir MixAlot likes this.

Advertisement