Fixing A Gap Between Plaster Wall And Brick Wall - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fixing a gap between plaster wall and brick wall

I exposed an old brick chimney in my kitchen by ripping out the old lath and plaster covering it and the studs the lath was attached to. Now I am left with a 2-inch gap between the plaster of the adjacent wall and the brick wall (see photo).

As far as I can figure, I have two options, and I'm not sure which is better. Option 1 would be to attach small 2x4 cleats to the stud on the left in the photo, flush with the laths on the right, and then just patch it with a strip of drywall and finishing the joint. The problem I see with that is it will require screwing diagonally through the cleats into the left stud, which could push the cleat back a little and knock it out of flush and parallel with the plaster wall/laths.

Option 2 would be to take some pieces of the old lath I removed and putting them across the gap to the stud on the left. I guess I would have to use Liquid Nails to attach them on the left, and would need to use a second piece of old lath to support the patching pieces from the back on the right (avoiding a weak end to end connection with the existing laths). The problem I see with this option is it seems like a weak amount of support for the new drywall strip.

My question is, which option seems better, or is there another solution I am missing? For the new drywall strip, do I need to screw that in somewhere, or can I just use Liquid Nails to attach it to a substrate (since I can't imagine there will ever be much force on it). Also, if I go with the cleat method, is Liquid Nails strong enough to attach the cleats to the left stud, or do I need screws?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Fixing a gap between plaster wall and brick wall-wall.jpg  

Advertisement

eholmes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,684

Whatever repair you choose on the piece you put in use tear away bead where your drywall meets the brick. Will give you a clean look and a lot easier to mud.

Advertisement

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't familiar with tear away bead, so I googled it. Looks like a good idea. I was thinking about putting quarter-round molding there to cover the gap. Which would you recommend?

Also, I am going with the cleat method to support the drywall. I used wood glue on a 2x4 block, made it flush with the lath ends, and then used shims to hold the cleat in place while it dried. Now that it's in place I'm going to put screws in diagonally to add strength. Seems like it should work.
eholmes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 852

how did it go?
federer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drywall , patching , plaster