Fixing Bubbled Facing - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

Fixing bubbled facing

Hello all,

I hope you can help me with my dilemma. I live in a timber frame house that is 10 years old. The frame has shifted and shrunk in spots, a common phenomenon. As a result, the drywall on an interior partition wall has been compressed where it meets a ceiling beam. The paper face of the drywall has "crumpled", or bubbled as a result. The ceiling is 2x tongue and groove pine, so there is no joint where the the wall would normally meet ceiling drywall.

What is the best way to repair this? I believe I need to cut the drywall down just a bit, maybe a 1/4" at most, so it isn't being compressed by the beam anymore, but to do this I'll need to remove the paper facing to below the bubbled portion, about 2" altogether. What is the best way to patch the drywall face afterward? I also have some popped screws because of the drywall movement, but these should be easy to fix.


Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
DIY staff

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 25,728
Rewards Points: 7,174

Cut out all bubbles---Patch with Durrabond--(Bag mix)---That is the hardest of the muds and is commonly used for this purpose--

Use light weight--(blue lid) for the final top coat--Much easier to sand---

Think about adding a trim piece to the top of the wall---That will allow you to leave a nice gap between the DW and the wood ceiling---Mike---


New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Fixing bubbled facing

Thank you, Mike. Wish me luck.
Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-08-2011)

bubbled face , drywall bubbles , drywall damage , drywall repair

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fireplace facing kit welshseahorse Remodeling 3 02-22-2010 01:18 PM
Need Help Fixing My Dresser... changa112 Carpentry 3 04-18-2009 11:35 AM
New to the forum fixing my money pit kell490 Introductions 1 03-30-2009 11:25 PM
Hardiebacker 500 in shower enclosure question (does board facing matter?) DyerWolf General DIY Discussions 3 01-20-2009 06:58 PM
Fixing a sink - paint removed from the sink deb14905 Painting 2 04-18-2007 11:26 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1