DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Drywall & Plaster (
-   -   Fixing bubbled facing (

Llee 02-07-2011 08:41 AM

Fixing bubbled facing
Hello all,

I hope you can help me with my dilemma. I live in a timber frame house that is 10 years old. The frame has shifted and shrunk in spots, a common phenomenon. As a result, the drywall on an interior partition wall has been compressed where it meets a ceiling beam. The paper face of the drywall has "crumpled", or bubbled as a result. The ceiling is 2x tongue and groove pine, so there is no joint where the the wall would normally meet ceiling drywall.

What is the best way to repair this? I believe I need to cut the drywall down just a bit, maybe a 1/4" at most, so it isn't being compressed by the beam anymore, but to do this I'll need to remove the paper facing to below the bubbled portion, about 2" altogether. What is the best way to patch the drywall face afterward? I also have some popped screws because of the drywall movement, but these should be easy to fix.

oh'mike 02-07-2011 09:34 AM

Cut out all bubbles---Patch with Durrabond--(Bag mix)---That is the hardest of the muds and is commonly used for this purpose--

Use light weight--(blue lid) for the final top coat--Much easier to sand---

Think about adding a trim piece to the top of the wall---That will allow you to leave a nice gap between the DW and the wood ceiling---Mike---

Llee 02-07-2011 02:46 PM

Re: Fixing bubbled facing
Thank you, Mike. Wish me luck.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1