Fixable Or Gotta Replace? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Fixable or gotta replace?

Mother dilemma...is this easy to fix or gotta replace whole drywLl sheet? Was jus thinking tape and mud the gap. It's a 1" Gap FYI.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Aloha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

just prefill..........prefill ...with hard set mud... told you this on three different posts...but if you've never taped before .. might be better to get someone else.

prefill then flat tape it!

but you really gotta know what your doing to mix "hot mud"

later

LR

Advertisement

luckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 616

Or trim it out with some form of wood molding.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,276

Do over.
Call it a learning experience and growth from the effort of doing something right.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Oh hell! Put a little expanding foam in there and the next day saw it off flush and tape and bed as usual...or get a bigger clock.

Next question?
Old 01-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

LOL @bud love the clock comment
luckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
retired union carpenter

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

hi Aloha1, in all seriousness, you can fix this without replacing sheet. I doubt very much if you can pre fill and tape it? as there is nothing to hold the mud to keep if from falling through. short of filling entire cavity.

I'm assuming the wooden beam is to remain exposed? how I've done in the past, is plug patch it. you say it's a 1" gap? I'd cut a 2 1/2" piece of drywall the length of gap from ceiling down to under beam. on the back side of the 2 1/2" piece use sharp knife and score the paper the 1" just the paper! peel paper off, then start scoring gypsum, do slowly until all the gypsum is removed with Spackle knife and only the front paper is left. you want it as smooth as possible, leaving you with 1 1/2" of paper to tape on the plug,
before riding it on, put a piece of duct tape on the beam, down side and bottom of beam, slightly behind drywall line. use a spatula and coat the duct tape with vaseline, the mud wont stick to it much if at all.

then, with your mud, butter it up on all sides of the plug like you would a brick, put a screw in the 2x plate that's showing to help hold the mud. mud all the edges good, place the plug in on an angle, starting against the beam, mud the back of plug enough to allow a bit of mud to slide behind the sheet with gap. mud the sheep with mud enough to set your 1 1/2" paper, use 6" knife to push the plug back into proper position. should make it pretty straight. take you time to make so!

let dry 24 hours at least, finish and feather as needed.

do same with corner bead, leave duct tape in until done and sanded. when all is done, use sharp razor knife, run it along the corners cutting duct tape and remove.

you should end up with a nice clean corner and not a bunch of mud on exposed beam maybe a small bead of caulk
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

I'm with Bud on the foam. I filled a number of drywall gaps in my recent renovation with it and it worked great. I bought it to fill around a new basement window I put in but had 3/4 the can left over so I went to town on the drywall cracks. It cured in an hour and I just sawed it off flat with a jamb saw.

Or...take a furring strip, screw it to the backside of the dry wall with half it's width exposed along the gap, cut a piece of drywall from scrap to fit the gap and screw to the other side of the furring strip, skim with mud
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
retired union carpenter

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

good idea Ironlight, but appears other side already closed up? no access for furring strip

Advertisement

coupe is offline   Reply With Quote