Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #1

Share |

Fix Bad Skim Coat Job

Hello -

We just built our new home, and we learned alot. One thing we didn't think twice about was wall texture. Our contractor seemed pretty confident that he was a good drywaller. (We know now that drywall is an art, and he should have subcontracted this out).

It all started with texture. I choose knock down on the ceiling and walls. After he was done and already primed and painted, we notice that we could see lines on the ceilings and the walls were not what knock down should be.

I believe he scrapped while the mud was too wet, leaving long streaks. After we complained, he brought in a person with more experience with drywall and he was told it was the worst texture job they ever seen.

So...the solution was he would hire this outside contractor to skim coat and re-texture the ceiling. I'm very happy with how the ceilings turned out. He then skim coated all the walls and by this time I was so turned off of knock down, I told to just go with orange peel. I'm not at all happy with the walls. After the skim coat and the orange peel texture, you can see faint swipe marks, particularly if you look from a side angle.

We didn't start to notice this until after we moved in and look at the walls everyday, and how different light hits the walls. When you are looking straight at the walls, it's not as noticeable. But, I just can't get past this.

I'm absolutely sick about this. This was supposed to be my dream house and I literally hate walking into this house. What are my options? I've searched the net, and get a variety of solutions....I wonder if I do another coat a paint if it will help?

These streaks are pretty faint. I've seen where you could rent a sander attached to vacuum and sand it off, but other sites are saying skim coat over it! Keep in mind I've already got 2 texture layers, 2 prime layers, and 2 paint layers. Our contractor was over last weekend and says he will send someone to fix this, but I'm wondering if we need to get other opinions. Please help!

Last edited by oh'mike; 09-11-2012 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Added some spaces
smoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #2

Fix Bad Skim Coat Job

if the contractor is gonna have it fixed have them skim it smooth and be done with it.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Fix Bad Skim Coat Job

Sounds moe like a bad paint job to me, but hard to say from here. What exactly were the walls primed and painted with, how many coats, what sheen, etc.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #4

Fix Bad Skim Coat Job

Personally I don"t think smooth walls and knockdown ceiling would look right. Agree sounds like maybe a paint problem. Maybe use a flat wall paint as an undercoat to hide marks then topcoat with a satin or eggshell.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Fix Bad Skim Coat Job

Not sure if NuWal is indicated for something like this or not. Usually I have used it when walls were full of cracks and things. It is a material skin you apply to the wall surface. Not the easiest stuff to work with but put it on your maybe list.

What about some textured wallcovering for that matter? Some of the paintable ones are alright. I just didn't run across them so often anymore.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
Newbie Bill

Fix Bad Skim Coat Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Personally I don"t think smooth walls and knockdown ceiling would look right.
Really? Where I live knockdown or texture on walls is seldom seen. Although the odd 70's basement was known to have textured walls.

The majority of homes built in the last 25 years have smooth drywall walls with popcorn or knockdown on the ceilings. The higher end homes go with smooth ceilings too.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #7

Fix Bad Skim Coat Job

I've seen more smooth ceilings with texture of some sort on walls for the last several years for the most part.

Especially so in the higher end homes.

HATE popcorn....
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ktkelly For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (09-21-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #8

Fix Bad Skim Coat Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Personally I don"t think smooth walls and knockdown ceiling would look right.
See that a lot, looks good
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #9

Fix Bad Skim Coat Job

Must be a regional thing, have seen knockdown on walls and ceiling, popcorn on ceiling orange peel on walls, popcorn on ceiling smooth walls, just don't think I have ever seen knockdown on ceiling with smooth walls.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drywall, skim coat