Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Massachusetts.
Posts: 305
Share |
Default

Fire rated drywall between garage and house...on both sides?


So I'm renovation the downstairs and I'm putting up drywall walls against the garage. Currently the garage is finished so I'm assuming the walls in there have fire rated drywall but do the ones inside have to be too?

RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Default

Fire rated drywall between garage and house...on both sides?


Is it 5/8" sheetrock in the garage?
That is what is required
I'd do the inside with 5/8" too

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: anoka county mn
Posts: 303
Default

Fire rated drywall between garage and house...on both sides?


inside its not required on single family , multi family i believe it is .
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:40 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Default

Fire rated drywall between garage and house...on both sides?


Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrivers View Post
inside its not required on single family , multi family i believe it is .
+ 1

If you are not sure, or if there are more specifics to the situation, just call your local Building Dept. & ask them.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
Renovation Contractor
 
Paragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Moorhead, MN/ Fargo, ND
Posts: 226
Default

Fire rated drywall between garage and house...on both sides?


Yup it is what is required in your municipality and the inspector would quite happily answer the specific question for you.

Good luck and be safe
__________________
James D. Van Raden
Owner, Paragon Renovations Moorhead, MN/ Fargo, ND
"Committed to providing the finest renovation services available"
Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Default

Fire rated drywall between garage and house...on both sides?


The IRC code requires 1/2" rock on the garage side of the garage walls and any supporting structure (steel posts, stud walls, etc). If there is habitable space above the garage then 5/8" is required on the ceiling and any horizontal members such as steel beams. A lot of people spec 5/8" on the walls but the code does not require it.

In a single family residence under no circumstance should you have to have 5/8" (or 1/2" for that matter) on both sides of the wall separating the garage from the house. Just the garage side. The rock is intended as a fire membrane separation, not a true firewall that is designed to protect the structural elements from both sides of the wall.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Massachusetts.
Posts: 305
Default

Fire rated drywall between garage and house...on both sides?


Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
The IRC code requires 1/2" rock on the garage side of the garage walls and any supporting structure (steel posts, stud walls, etc). If there is habitable space above the garage then 5/8" is required on the ceiling and any horizontal members such as steel beams. A lot of people spec 5/8" on the walls but the code does not require it.

In a single family residence under no circumstance should you have to have 5/8" (or 1/2" for that matter) on both sides of the wall separating the garage from the house. Just the garage side. The rock is intended as a fire membrane separation, not a true firewall that is designed to protect the structural elements from both sides of the wall.
It's a finished basement..so I shouldn't finish the inside walls because there is already drywall on the garage side?
RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Default

Fire rated drywall between garage and house...on both sides?


Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
It's a finished basement..so I shouldn't finish the inside walls because there is already drywall on the garage side?
Do you mean it already has sheetrock up or some other wall cover?

You can put sheetrock up in the basement, just not required for fire code

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Attaching garage to house eric haley General DIY Discussions 5 02-26-2009 07:38 AM
Fire Rated Door - Install window? Git Remodeling 10 08-05-2008 03:32 PM
Carport to Garage: Fire barrier question Grommet Remodeling 2 03-28-2008 04:18 PM
Adding on to house to build a garage. Ohioguy Building & Construction 5 02-09-2008 04:44 AM
Garage drywall painting haylo75 Painting 18 11-12-2007 08:13 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.