Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #1

Share |

Finishing price

i know finishing price depends on location/size of job, etc.
i have what i think is a straight forward, easy job (for someone with experience). i have hung it, just looking to see what a fair price is for mudding, sanding, primed, ready to paint. the room is 17'x10' so i bought 10 footers to eliminate butt joints and i think it came out great..less butt joints, the better. also, i created a 1' deep trey that has drywalled sides but tongueNgroove in the center...i plan on adding crown molding so i wouldn't need any celing to wall joints taped (correct?) and need 4 outside corner beads (trey) and 4 inside corners taped, and only 3 small butt joints.
local guy on craigslist quoted me $240 w/ just dimensions i gave him as a ballpark before coming out to see for himself.
thanks for any tips.
Attached Thumbnails
Finishing price-bedroom.jpg  

jgee82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Finishing price

wait! you want somebody to coat,finish,sand,and prime a 1 inch corner bead? the bead itself is over an inch! then your tongue and groove is going to be covered with mud!

yes you need ceiling to walls taped and coated. if for no other reason than sealing.

it's going to take whoever does it? 4 trips to your room to do it. if you can get some fool fromCraig's list to quote it and do it? you're not going to do it cheaper? but don't expect mericles at that 4x8 1 inch tray! if you're going to paint ceiling white? I'd get some drop ceiling wall angle, nail it around tray with white nails and call it done! caulk the top of angle in tray, it'll be hard to coat and finish 1 inch corner bead with a 3/4" putty knife!

as always, just my thoughts.

take what helps? ignore the rest!

best of luck

coupe/Larry

coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #3

Finishing price

Before others dive in and go on about how you cant get estimates on the internet,...consider this. How much is the job worth to YOU? Put another way, how much are you willing to pay to have someone else do it? If $240 seems right,...get another estimate to be sure, and then go for it. If it seems really low,...you might get what you pay for. If it sounds high (I have NO idea!),.. again, get some more estimates. Ask people you know that have had work done recently.

Most important, make sure you are comparing apples to apples. If you are going to apply heavy texture (you didn't say...), that's one thing. But if you expect a level 5 finish, make sure all the estimates understand what your expectations are.

Best of luck, and merry Christmas!
Old 12-21-2011, 05:58 AM   #4
Not so new

Finishing price

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
wait! you want somebody to coat,finish,sand,and prime a 1 inch corner bead? the bead itself is over an inch! then your tongue and groove is going to be covered with mud!

yes you need ceiling to walls taped and coated. if for no other reason than sealing.

it's going to take whoever does it? 4 trips to your room to do it. if you can get some fool fromCraig's list to quote it and do it? you're not going to do it cheaper? but don't expect mericles at that 4x8 1 inch tray! if you're going to paint ceiling white? I'd get some drop ceiling wall angle, nail it around tray with white nails and call it done! caulk the top of angle in tray, it'll be hard to coat and finish 1 inch corner bead with a 3/4" putty knife!

best of luck

coupe/Larry

Its 1' deep not 1".
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:02 AM   #5

Finishing price

Yeah..its a 1' trey......1" wouldn't make much sense......anyhow, the original estimate of $240 that 1 guy gave me jumped to $500 after I sent him the sketch...$0.85/sft seems kinda high too me to finish..that's as much as I have in the room so far $400 in new windows, $100 in insulation, $90 in drywall...I might just try to tackle myself for that price.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
DIY staff

Finishing price

Figure the pay for one man--three days---not full days,that's for sure --but three days that he won't have time to do any thing else. Also--two bags of 20 minute--one bucket of green--and possibly two blue.

You will pay a premium due to the small size of the job---
Old 12-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
retired union carpenter

Finishing price

" I might just try to tackle myself for that price."

well, this is a do it yourself forum! even the $500.00 may be a bargain! if you don't know what you're doing?

most quality, good finishers I know, wont even leave the house for less than $150-$200.00 per day if it's a 3 day job or 6 months?

good luck

coupe/Larry
Old 12-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #8

Finishing price

I am a Professional Drywall Taper. I have a $400 minimum and it goes up from there. I'm not even going to bother looking at your sketches to quote, because I can't. Factors that determine a quote are far more than what's available in a sketch.

There's hundreds of different ways to do jobs. Fast set mud, regular mud, machines, etc. For me as a Professional, a job is ideally done in five trips. That gives the best quality and is usually the most efficient use of hours. However not every job gets done in five passes for obvious reasons.

Anyways any job under $400 isn't even worth leaving my driveway unless maybe it was a patch on the way home from work.

Dan
dberladyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dberladyn For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (12-27-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 08:21 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

Finishing price

One of the guys from our church that does drywall, quoted us $500 for our Kitchen & dining rooms, to do just a few patches, and hang 8 sheets on the ceiling, then tape and mud. That is a room that is 12x16. I would not want to think what it would be for him to do a room as large as you stated, due to the time and effort that it takes to do it right.

I would still look around and get some real quotes. If you want to go with the guy from craigslist, get some references from them and talk to those people. Do not bat Craigslist, I have a friend in So. Carolina that uses it to find people that will work in their auto shop, that fixes up the majority being repo's. It is a hit or miss as she has stated, you never know who you will find through it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:04 AM   #10

Finishing price

500 bucks to do that is pretty cheap..around here anyways, especially if he is supplying the mud and primer out of that price.

You may as well have him tape the corners at walls-ceilings, while he is taping everything else, wouldn't take much longer and it's done. Whatever you decide, better to make it clear about what is getting done before the work begins.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:54 AM   #11

Finishing price

500 seems a bit on the low side, for around here anyway. Try to get a look at any jobs he has done in the area, just to see his finished product.
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to packer_rich For This Useful Post:
chrisBC (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #12
retired union carpenter

Finishing price

if you're still looking for costs to do this for you? after seeing the picture of your master bath redo. there is no doubt in my mind you are fully capable and have the foresight to finish this yourself!

the bath redo looks great and was no small project.

that being said, I suggest you cover the floor with cardboard or plastic? unless you have some experience in mudding drywall? as you'll have more on the floor than on walls/ceiling. especially under those overhead corner beads

save the money, you can do it yourself!

use 6" knife for corner beads, sand lightly if you feel it needs it? between second and third coats. but wipe all dust off before applying final coat! the dust will cause the thinner mud to roll up onto itself.

good luck
Old 12-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Finishing price

Coupe, I was just replying to the OP. As for mine, I did the bath by myself, but the Kitchen I can't, due to having neck surgery with 3 cervical spinal fused, and as of now I am still healing, so no heavy work for another year. As for my cost, $500 is low for our area, but not as low as the OP, especially with the type of work that I am having done. I trust my guy more than some guy off the street, due to I have seen his work, and have also worked alongside with him on Men's ministry jobs.

: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #14

Finishing price

Quote:
if you're still looking for costs to do this for you? after seeing the picture of your master bath redo. there is no doubt in my mind you are fully capable and have the foresight to finish this yourself!

the bath redo looks great and was no small project.

that being said, I suggest you cover the floor with cardboard or plastic? unless you have some experience in mudding drywall? as you'll have more on the floor than on walls/ceiling. especially under those overhead corner beads

save the money, you can do it yourself!

use 6" knife for corner beads, sand lightly if you feel it needs it? between second and third coats. but wipe all dust off before applying final coat! the dust will cause the thinner mud to roll up onto itself.

good luck
Coupe,
thanks for the bath redo compliment...yeah, that was a HUGE job and did EVERYTHING myself. as for the drywall finishing on that room, i "thought" it looked good primered. but once color got on the walls, i could pick out imperfections...i ended up thining out mud and just doing a trowel texture on the walls since it was such a small area.
i have began doing the taping myself...taking more time....a couple of runs, i will have to redo as tape is bubbling, which i researched is caused by the tape not fully adhering to the wall..so will probably tear out, sand, and retape it...dipping tape in water as i read to do before applying to wall.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #15

Finishing price

after tackling the drywall finishing myself...i'm glad i did...came out GREAT and saved myself $600...took me awhile though as i wanted it to be perfect...so i did alot of sanding and adding, sanding and adding till i thought i wasn't gonna see any lines. after priming the walls, it looks like a solid piece of drywall...corners look nice and tight as well. still go to prime/paint ceiling, add color to walls, and paint/install trim and can check this room off and onto another..lol
Attached Thumbnails
Finishing price-bedroom.jpg