Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #1

Share |

Finishing drywall in garage

I recently had a house constructed from a local builder in the Indianapolis area. They put drywall on two of the three walls. By the looks of things they used nails instead of screws. Should I do the same?Also what type of rating of insulation should I use. I'm new to being a homeowner and have no clue. Any words of wisdom

Chavez2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #2

Are the two sheet rocked walls abutting living space? I would guess that they are......A picture or two would help.

Anyway,..Is the garage going to be heated? If not, I wouldn't bother with insulation. And I would use drywall screws.

1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #3

Reason I wanted to put insulation in the garage is because the master bedroom is right above the garage.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #4

Use screws and definitely insulate. Use insulation that is the same depth or less than the cavitiy below the bedroom. Don't o
Compress the insulation or it will lose rvalue.

That ceiling should be drywalled anyways for firecode if there is loving space above it.

A lot of drywallers use a nail or two to tack the sheet in place while they are holding up the sheet. Then they screw it. If you have help(ers) you can probly just screw it.
Justgaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justgaff View Post
Use screws and definitely insulate. Use insulation that is the same depth or less than the cavitiy below the bedroom. Don't o
Compress the insulation or it will lose rvalue.

That ceiling should be drywalled anyways for firecode if there is loving space above it.

A lot of drywallers use a nail or two to tack the sheet in place while they are holding up the sheet. Then they screw it. If you have help(ers) you can probly just screw it.
Yep, I do recall he said it was a bedroom.......
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T
Yep, I do recall he said it was a bedroom.......
Haha, fat fingers on a small keyboard...
Old 10-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #7

Ok screw and insulate done deal thanks for the tips(very helpful).now as far as insulation goes I was planning on using the rolls of the pink stuff to insulate do I have to use something with a high r rating cause of the electrical panel that is on that wall.there is also a transistor to lower the voltage for the doorbell????
Old 10-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavez2049
Ok screw and insulate done deal thanks for the tips(very helpful).now as far as insulation goes I was planning on using the rolls of the pink stuff to insulate do I have to use something with a high r rating cause of the electrical panel that is on that wall.there is also a transistor to lower the voltage for the doorbell????
Just use what fits in the floor joists. Are you doing the walls too? Use the insulation that is rated for the depth of your cavity. You don't want to conceal/bury any wire connections; they should be accessible or in a junction box...
Old 10-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #9

Thank you all for the great tips. WOW it is a lot of work for a weekend DIYer. Glade I had some help I will be posting pics very soon. Thanks again for all the tips they really helped.