Finding Holes Behind Drywall - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Finding Holes Behind Drywall

Several posts recently ask how to work around outlet or ceiling fixtures with drywall. You can measure carefully and hope it all matches up. My fave drywall guys turned be on to this concept. They come in sizes to fit all boxes from outlets to ceiling mounts. You bury them in the wall and then sense them. Then you use your rotozip or other rotary drywall saw and I promise, nice neat holes every time. Yank the suckers out of the wall or ceiling if you get the ones for fixtures. Use them over and over again. They are hardly high tech but really clever I think. Nothing more than magnetic attractive material with a strong plastic shell your roto tool can wack.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 06-30-2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Added Picture
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
epson (06-30-2012), Nailbags (07-04-2012), Tom Struble (06-30-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
Renovations contractor

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester
Several posts recently ask how to work around outlet or ceiling fixtures with drywall. You can measure carefully and hope it all matches up. My fave drywall guys turned be on to this concept. They come in sizes to fit all boxes from outlets to ceiling mounts. You bury them in the wall and then sense them. Then you use your rotozip or other rotary drywall saw and I promise, nice neat holes every time. Yank the suckers out of the wall or ceiling if you get the ones for fixtures. Use them over and over again. They are hardly high tech but really clever I think. Nothing more than magnetic attractive material with a strong plastic shell your roto tool can wack.
Neat idea.

Advertisement

Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

I just use a rotozip around the box. If you have a light touch and think about what your are doing as far as what direction you are pushing the rotozip in, there's no need for any inserts. You have to be a little careful on the thin plastic boxes. I usually take a quick measurement and place an x on the drywall where the box should be. Then poke the rz in on the inside of the box and work my way to the edge of the box and jump over it and proceed clockwise around the box. To me, it's the only real fun part of drywalling.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 562

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
I just use a rotozip around the box. If you have a light touch and think about what your are doing as far as what direction you are pushing the rotozip in, there's no need for any inserts. You have to be a little careful on the thin plastic boxes. I usually take a quick measurement and place an x on the drywall where the box should be. Then poke the rz in on the inside of the box and work my way to the edge of the box and jump over it and proceed clockwise around the box. To me, it's the only real fun part of drywalling.
Mike Hawkins

I've had so many wires cut by guys using drywall routers and rotozips it's disgusting.

I know it's faster but it's also a problem a lot of time...
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkelly View Post
I've had so many wires cut by guys using drywall routers and rotozips it's disgusting.

I know it's faster but it's also a problem a lot of time...
I always make sure the wires are pushed back in the box, and also, I set the depth of the bit so just the guide tip of the bit goes into the box. But I know what you are talking about. Most guys don't care. I only do drywall on my own remodel jobs, so if something were to get damaged, it would be my fault and I would have to fix it. So I tend to be a little more careful, cuz I don't want to have to do things twice.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-30-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,276

I pack the wire back and wedge some corrugated cardboard on top--only had hires clipped a time or two--

We use steel boxes with cover rings in this area--so packing the box with card board works very well---
Old 06-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post

I like that. Whatís it called and were can you get them?
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 672

Here's how there suppost to work, It's two rare earth magnets that are really strong ( do not have your fingers in the way when playing with them)
One get set in the box, you set the board in place and feel around with the other magnet trying to line it up with the box, once it locks in place you trace around the magnet with a pencil, then remove the board and cut out the hole.
Here's the problum, the box sticks out 1/2" from the wall, unless you have two people to hold up the board and one to move the magnet there's no good way to do it.
I bought a set and it got used one time, my guys refused to use it. Send me your address and pay for the shipping and I'll give it to you.
I tryed to give it to my sheetrock guy, he tryed it and gave it back.
It sounded and looked like a great idea, just a pain to use.

Last edited by joecaption; 06-30-2012 at 09:07 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 512

in my line of work about 80% of the plugs i cut out have the plug already wired up making this tool useless to me
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Here's who there suppost to work, It's two rare earth magnets that are really strong ( do not have your fingers in the way when playing with them)
One get set in the box, you set the board in place and feel around with the other magnet trying to line it up with the box, once it locks in place you trace around the magnet with a pencil, then remove the board and cut out the hole.
Here's the problum, the box sticks out 1/2" from the wall, unless you have two people to hold up the board and one to move the magnet there's no good way to do it.
I bought a set and it got used one time, my guys refused to use it. Send me your address and pay for the shipping and I'll give it to you.
I tryed to give it to my sheetrock guy, he tryed it and gave it back.
It sounded and looked like a great idea, just a pain to use.
Much appreciated but Iíll pass as thinking about it, it would be a pain in the rear end to use. I guess itís more suited for the occasional handyman. Maybe I could give it to my want to be handyman friend who canít cut out a receptacle box if his life depended on it.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:38 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Here is a far simpler way of doing it. And it far cheaper then those. Go to the dollar store and buy a bright red tube of lip stick. take it and cover the edge of the box place the dry wall board in place lightly press take down and Vola you have the exact out line for the box cut a way!

Advertisement

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote