Filling And Re-drilling A Ceiling Hole? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SPS-1
  • 2 Post By joecaption

Old 08-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Question

Filling and re-drilling a ceiling hole?

This morning my curtain rod became loose and fell out of the holes drilled into the ceiling, the holes are too big now and I want to fill them in and put the curtains up in the same place. Placing the holes somewhere else isn't an option.

I was wondering what kind of filling will be strong enough to keep the screws/anchors from falling out again?

Advertisement

melodymaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,494

Re: Filling and re-drilling a ceiling hole?

Hi Melody and welcome to the forum.
Anchors in drywall are never very strong. Since you can't relocate it there are a couple of options, but I don't know how big the hole is now. If it is just where the anchor pulled out you can squeeze the hole full of a one part adhesive that hardens solid. I've used construction adhesive for many repairs but it cures very slowly. There are 2-part epoxy materials that would cure in 20 minutes, but you would have to get innovative to squeeze then into place. I'm thinking of a piping bag used for cake decoration, could work. Once you fill the hold then drill a new hole and use your anchor.

Another approach would be a different style anchor, one that has metal fingers that expand and capture the back of the wall. They use a slightly larger hole to start so may not need to patch.

Got a picture??

Bud

Advertisement

Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,243

Your curtain rod is screwed into the ceiling? That is a little odd. Try a toggle bolt.

Squeeze the wings together and push it through the hole. Then they will pop open inside the wall. No way to pull them out. It's possible that the drywall just doesn't have the strength to hold that weight, but then you have bigger problems.
mathmonger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2016, 07:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,634

If the anchors were the type on the left, see if the anchor style on the right will fit. They typically need a bigger hole, and are much stronger anyways.
Attached Thumbnails
Filling and re-drilling a ceiling hole?-anchors.jpg  
jeffmattero76 likes this.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
If the anchors were the type on the left, see if the anchor style on the right will fit. They typically need a bigger hole, and are much stronger anyways.
The anchors we have right now are indeed the ones on the left, we are going to try the ones on the right right now. Here's hoping!
Old 08-27-2016, 08:37 PM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 4,142

Snap toggles
https://www.amazon.com/Toggler-Snapt...s=Snap+toggles
Old 08-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 13,300

Post a picture of what you have now.
Trying to picture why you have it just attached to drywall, and why the ceiling of all places.
Just not a great way to do it.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Post a picture of what you have now.
Trying to picture why you have it just attached to drywall, and why the ceiling of all places.
Just not a great way to do it.
Unfortunately that's the way our apartment building has decided to do it.
We have also discovered that the ceiling is concrete underneath the plaster and it seems very difficult to get the screws back in ourselves, so I think we will just have to get someone from the building to come in and fix it for us.

Thank you everyone for all of your help though! It's too bad we couldn't fix this ourselves
Old 08-28-2016, 10:05 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 13,300

If it's concrete then Tap Con Screws should have been used.
Those cheap plastic anchors are the first thing I throw away on anything I have to install, there useless.
jeffmattero76 and ReelDeel like this.

Advertisement