Filling Holes And Channels In Drywall - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

filling holes and channels in drywall

Hi
I am attempting my first DIY project with drywall. Here's the situation. We recently ran some wiring for TV/stereo etc. To have the wires be hidden, the installer cut a channel through the drywall and tucked them in there. Now that has to be filled in. Ultimately we'll be wallpapering over it. So what is the best way to do this? It's not that deep or wide, just covers a long area running parallel to the ceiling.
Spackle or joint compound?
How many layers do you think will be needed?
Sand in between each layer?
Since I assume the wallpaper hanger will need to prime the walls prior to hanging, how "perfect" do I need to get it? Does it need to be filled in totally flush?
Thanks for any advice.

Advertisement

jkbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 664

No one here can see just how wide these channels are, how it gets fixed depends on how bad he messed it up.
The wire should have been fished through the wall not inserted into a grove cut into the sheetrock.
Spackle is only for filling small nail holes.
Yes it needs to be perfectly flat if you do not want to see a hump in the wall.
What do you mean it's not that deep? If he did do it the way your suggesting he should have gone all the way though the drywall.

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. Here is a small section of what it looks like.
There is plaster behind the dry wall (previous owners renovations) so the installer didn't go all the way through (except where he made holes to run back to the equipment), he just chiseled out a channel to lay the wire in.
Hopefully this picture will explain it better than what I'm writing!
Sorry, picture is upside down, but you should be able to get the idea!

filling holes and channels in drywall-photo-1.jpg
Old 10-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Too bad he didnt locate the wire at the height of a chair rail, you could have hid it behind that

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #5

He's made a mess of it for you to clean up.
About all you can do not is us what's nicknamed hot mud, it's fast setting drywall compound. Once it dries your going to have to apply a thin layer of setting compound with a 6" wide drywall knife and apply paper drywall tape, and another thin layer of drywall compound over the tape.
The keys words are "thin layers".
Once it dies wipe the drywall knife over it to just knock off the high spots, then apply another layer of compound. Once that one dries it time to sand with a drywall sponge in a ciruler motion. Wipe it down and check for flaws. Add another thin layer if there's low spots. Once it's smooth when you run your hand over it wipe it down with a damp rag to make 100% sure all the dust is gone. Now your ready for primer and two coats of paint.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...857848542B481C
Old 10-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #6

Hmm, that sounds like more work than I was bargaining for!
What would be the consequences of not putting drywall tape on there? Meaning could I just do a few layers of joint compound (the guy in my local hardware store gave me the stuff with the green lid)?
Old 10-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #7

It's just going to keep cracking without tape and as a thick layer of that type mud dries it's going to look like alligator skin.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #8

Makes sense. One more question - you refer to drywall compound, setting compound etc. Do you mean I should be using more than one type of product for the different layers? Can you be more specific on that? Thanks so much!
Old 10-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #9

http://www.house-painting-info.com/joint-compound.html
Old 10-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,686

Your not going to like this but I really recommend a do-over. That wire should be behind the wall, years from now someone goes to mount something in that area there is going to be problems. And the repair would have been the same if the wiring was in the wall. The only thing I would add to what Joe told you is the 6" knife is for you first coat then you need a 12" knife to feather it out with. This doesn't look like a hard repair, but it is because as Joe said it has to be flat if not it will be very noticeable. That is why you need to feather it out so far.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Is your house on a slab? Why wasn't the wire run up through the sole plate from the basement between two studs?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

The studs should have been drilled at the channel and the wires placed inside the wall. Then a regular drywall repair to close it up. I don't see that
Working for very long.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Your not going to like this but I really recommend a do-over. That wire should be behind the wall, years from now someone goes to mount something in that area there is going to be problems. And the repair would have been the same if the wiring was in the wall. The only thing I would add to what Joe told you is the 6" knife is for you first coat then you need a 12" knife to feather it out with. This doesn't look like a hard repair, but it is because as Joe said it has to be flat if not it will be very noticeable. That is why you need to feather it out so far.
Thanks for the additional info.Honestly, I don't know how we'd do it over. We are in an old apartment building. The previous owner did a renovation. I guess the plaster walls were in bad condition so they decided to sheetrock over the whole thing. So we'd have to go through the sheetrock and then through the plaster....don't see that happening

So I applied the tape, then a thin layer of joint compound, smoothing out as I go. Will do a sanding today and see what it looks like. The wallpaper hanger is coming to have a look tonight so we'll see what he says.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Is your house on a slab? Why wasn't the wire run up through the sole plate from the basement between two studs?
We're in an apartment building!
Old 10-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Thanks, I've read that. I just wasn't sure if you were reccommending a specific one of these, or different ones for the different layers. I know sometimes the words are used somewhat interchangeably.

Advertisement