Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #1

Share |

Filling a gap

Couple of days ago, I started filling a 1/4" - 1/2" gap at the ceiling/wall with lightweight joint compund (blue lid), thinking to "build up" the space for taping. Is 3 days enough dry time before the second coat, however AFter reading alot of posts, it has been suggested the blue lid shouldn't be used for filling/taping, but rather Durabond or any other "setting" type of compound. Should I continue with the "blue lid" compound or switch over to durabond -- can I add durabond to the already installed (very small amount) of joint compound?

debbieindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Filling a gap

Just remember if your'e sloppy Durabond is hard to sand.
I wouldn't switch...
And 3 days is enough

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #3

Filling a gap

Thanks. That's what I thought. Should I also use the jc with the green lid. Have read that it's preferred for taping, 1st and 2nd coat whereas the green lid is more for the last coat.
debbieindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
Disabled wood vet

Filling a gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbieindy View Post
Thanks. That's what I thought. Should I also use the jc with the green lid. Have read that it's preferred for taping, 1st and 2nd coat whereas the green lid is more for the last coat.
Yeah. It's pretty much the same, little easier to spread, little easier to sand still yet.
It doesn't hurt to add a little water to it if it feels a little thick (if it kind of rolls up on itself when you try to spread it).
Old 12-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Filling a gap

I can't add more to what Titanmen has said. I typically use USG green lid joint compound, just mixed for taping, then add water to my liking for coats 2 and 3. I've never had any problems. just personal preferences I guess?

as always, just my thoughts.

good luck

coupe/Larry
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Filling a gap

Hold the "Real Drywallers of Wherever" phone for a second. You are not suggesting he automatically tape a corner because 3 days cure time should be enough for whatever lid color are you? What if the guys wall/ceiling are exterior with limited insulation? You guys sure 3 days is enough for a heavily laid in glob of premix? I think I would encourage him to wait until it at least looked dry on the wall side?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Filling a gap

wait a second! the lady is filling a gap 1/4-1/2" not filling the Nile River here. she said filling in gap getting ready to tape? not exact words.

you could finish drywall in an outside storage shed, no insulation, and it'd dry in 3 days with the doors closed, even if rained.
she could've filled it and taped the next day, so the drying mud sucks the tape in a bit? simply recoat if needed?

the op can decide what they're satisfied with
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
Disabled wood vet

Filling a gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
wait a second! the lady is filling a gap 1/4-1/2" not filling the Nile River here. she said filling in gap getting ready to tape? not exact words.

you could finish drywall in an outside storage shed, no insulation, and it'd dry in 3 days with the doors closed, even if rained.
she could've filled it and taped the next day, so the drying mud sucks the tape in a bit? simply recoat if needed?

the op can decide what they're satisfied with
Thank you. I couldn't have said that any better.
Like the op can't figure out if it dry or not.

Last edited by titanoman; 12-16-2011 at 06:50 PM.