Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2008, 02:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

fast drywall repair/patch method on celing ?

Hi,
Do you know any good and fast method to repair/patch Sheetrock on the ceiling, like let say after installing lamp (1 X 1' piece). I'm using a paper, but heard that you can use alex or something in the seam (even after drywall saw) so it won't crack. Just need to fix all pieces well together.

Just thinking how to make it faster.

Tx
Dai

dainova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Not sure I'm quite following....... On a ceiling (especially) you need to fasten the drywall patch to something in order to keep it from sagging when you apply mud. You can cut back to the joist on either side or just take a piece of 1"x or 2"x scrap and screw to the existing board and screw your patch to that. (Allowing the wood to overhang the existing an inch or two.) Then tape and finish as needed. You could do a "hot patch" but it is a bit more involved and 1'x1' is a little larger than I'd recommend. I don't see using caulk on the seam as a plausible solution. Use a setting type compound and you can do multiple coats in a few hrs time.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #3

Buy a small patch from any paint store or homedepot. it has an adhesive on it. stick it over the hole on the ceiling. Then take joint compound mix it with plaster of paris. Figure a 35/65 plaster to compound mix. That will make the first coat dry in about 10 minutes. With that mix, using a spackle knife, cover the entire patch. Do not leave it on heavy. Try to make it as thin and flush as possible. After about 10 minutes, repeat with just joint compound. It should look pretty good. Leave it over night, then sand and paint the next day.
Primetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

If I understand correctly, we're talking a 1 foot x 1foot patch?? I don't think you can get a "store bought" patch that size........... I may be wrong. Never used 'em.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
If I understand correctly, we're talking a 1 foot x 1foot patch?? I don't think you can get a "store bought" patch that size........... I may be wrong. Never used 'em.
Err, even if you could, I wouldn't do it. The method using a 1x2 as a backer in the wall is the right way to do it.

Here's a good how-to with pictures:

http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/17533/1/
Bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
Drywall contractor

As I suggested in original reply. Especially since it's in the ceiling.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
As I suggested in original reply. Especially since it's in the ceiling.
I was reinforcing what you were saying as Primetime had suggested the lick-n-stick patch. Just keeping focus. Whatever you do, prime that dude or things will not match up well.

Last edited by Bubbagump; 10-14-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:05 PM   #8
Drywall contractor

Gotcha, Bub. Just clicked the link you posted. Good stuff.