DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

fast drywall repair/patch method on celing ?

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  bjbatlanta 
#1 ·
Hi,
Do you know any good and fast method to repair/patch Sheetrock on the ceiling, like let say after installing lamp (1 X 1' piece). I'm using a paper, but heard that you can use alex or something in the seam (even after drywall saw) so it won't crack. Just need to fix all pieces well together.

Just thinking how to make it faster.

Tx
Dai

#2 ·
Not sure I'm quite following....... On a ceiling (especially) you need to fasten the drywall patch to something in order to keep it from sagging when you apply mud. You can cut back to the joist on either side or just take a piece of 1"x or 2"x scrap and screw to the existing board and screw your patch to that. (Allowing the wood to overhang the existing an inch or two.) Then tape and finish as needed. You could do a "hot patch" but it is a bit more involved and 1'x1' is a little larger than I'd recommend. I don't see using caulk on the seam as a plausible solution. Use a setting type compound and you can do multiple coats in a few hrs time.

#3 ·
It is easy

Buy a small patch from any paint store or homedepot. it has an adhesive on it. stick it over the hole on the ceiling. Then take joint compound mix it with plaster of paris. Figure a 35/65 plaster to compound mix. That will make the first coat dry in about 10 minutes. With that mix, using a spackle knife, cover the entire patch. Do not leave it on heavy. Try to make it as thin and flush as possible. After about 10 minutes, repeat with just joint compound. It should look pretty good. Leave it over night, then sand and paint the next day. :)

#4 ·
If I understand correctly, we're talking a 1 foot x 1foot patch?? I don't think you can get a "store bought" patch that size........... I may be wrong. Never used 'em.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.