Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #1

Share |

Existing Drywall Question

I have to close up a recessed kitchen lighting opening. It measures 6'x4'. The existing drywall is 1/2". It was hidden by oak trim. When I removed the trim, the exposed edges of the existing drywall are the sides. Meaning there is no factory tapered edge. I am going to rent a drywall lift tomorrow to lift the 6x4 sheet into place.

My questions is:
Should I trim off the tapered edge with the paper on it? If the tapered edge is not as thick as the side without tape, there will be a gap there. My thought is that if the entire four edges exposed are all sides then I should cut off the ends so that it is flush.
Also, do I skim coat the new drywall before I tape the joint to level out any differences? Mesh tape or paper tape?

Thanks

AirborneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

All of the above will work. That said, I would remove the tapered edge. The existing rock with paint (with however many coats) is already thicker than 1/2". I would use mesh tape (HD carries some that is a "fine" or "extra fine" that is thinner) to keep the repair as "flat" as possible. Put your tape on and cover with a thin coat of SETTING type compound for at least the first coat (45 minute would probably be the best for a DIY'er). I personally would then use setting compound for the second coat. I would use regular ready mix for the final coat(s). Several thin coats are preferable to trying to "pile on" a lot of mud at one time......

Old 03-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #3

Got a picture?
Trying to imagine how a light fixture coud be that big.
Why would you rent a lift to install just one piece of drywall.
Two people 15 min. and it's done.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote