Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Ensuite Bathroom Rebuild - what type of drywall?

Hi Everyone,

I am rebuilding an ensuite bathroom. Today I re-insulated the exterior walls and applied a vapour barrier complete with tuck tape and acoustic caulking. From what I understand it is advisable to get some type of interior wall up ASAP.

The bathroom is going to have a stand up shower (no tile, acrylic walls and base with glass doors), toilet and sink, and will be used by adults. That said I don't expect there to be excess moisture but I'm still going to install an exhaust fan. The ceiling is already drywalled with the bluish/greenish drywall from the original construction, but I just want to make sure that this is acceptable for the rest of the walls.

If not, what do I need to install, and are there any specific installation instructions I need to follow?

Thanks in advance

mforeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
Masters in Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mforeman1 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am rebuilding an ensuite bathroom. Today I re-insulated the exterior walls and applied a vapour barrier complete with tuck tape and acoustic caulking. From what I understand it is advisable to get some type of interior wall up ASAP.

The bathroom is going to have a stand up shower (no tile, acrylic walls and base with glass doors), toilet and sink, and will be used by adults. That said I don't expect there to be excess moisture but I'm still going to install an exhaust fan. The ceiling is already drywalled with the bluish/greenish drywall from the original construction, but I just want to make sure that this is acceptable for the rest of the walls.

If not, what do I need to install, and are there any specific installation instructions I need to follow?

Thanks in advance
Since your shower is enclosed, I would sheetrock the bathroom with "green board" or moisture resistant sheetrock...except you cannot put this product on an exterior wall that already has a vapor barrier. The exterior walls use regular sheetrock and just do a nice job priming and painting.

There are building codes against using "green board" on exterior bathroom wall because it traps moisture between the vapor barriers and creates mold.

Unless there is a new sheetrock type I'm not aware of for your exterior bathroom walls, I would go with the regular sheetrock.

Last edited by MnDrywallRanger; 03-20-2011 at 06:35 AM.
MnDrywallRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #3

use the green board around sinks and tubs. regular for the rest of the walls you will be fine hang across the studs you can screw and glue or nail the rule of thumb is two nails for every screw in the field if screwing three screws in field per stud
lrobertstoner is offline   Reply With Quote