Drywalling Over Existing Drywall Questions - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

drywalling over existing drywall questions

Well I have to say this is something I have never attempted before so before I get started on anything I'd like to ask some questions to see if I should even attempt the job myself.

I am dealing with just one wall in a room and it is dry-walled, the other three are paneling and will remain that way.. It is covered in wallpaper. The job was done improperly from the start or there has been existing damage over time. There is an extremely large crack, minor to mild waviness, and it seems that all the pieces that were used don't square up. My main question is that if I were to drywall over this would these imperfections show through? Would the new drywall be wavy also? Would the new drywall have problems sitting on top of pieces that aren't sitting flush?

If problems would arise is there any ways to fix these occurrences without having to just demo the wall? To me it looks like they wallpapered because of how much they messed up on the drywalling. Well any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisement

keenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Chaos Engineer

Rewards Points: 150

You may want to dig a bit more into your issue rather then try to cover it up. The studs may not be correct the drywall may have not been installed right........so on. Take a pic or two and post them. That will help us help you LOL

Advertisement

Big N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Agree with N8, a pic would help. You could have some framing issues (bowed/cracked studs) causing some of the problem. That would require demo to fix....
Old 03-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Agree with above post... with the issues you describe it would be prudent to take a look at least behind the existing wall you want to rock over.

Benefit to remove existing drywal: inspect for problems....where did those bugs come from? opportuity to correct frameing, insulation, add electrical... trim issues minimized..etc..

Benefit to Rockover: Little less mess and debris to deal with.

You will need to cut down your trim to fit new dementions and add extenders to electrical boxes.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

I'm sorry guys for taking so long to return a reply. Well looks like I will never get to find out what would have been better. This was a project I was going to do for my parents...well once I mentioned the possibility of having to demo the wall they canned the idea and decided to just fix what they can and re-wallpaper over it...Yea I'm not in favor, but maybe that is simply because I am not a fan of wallpaper...Just for fun I'll put some pics up anyway

So yea here are some pics...It might be hard to see what is going on in each picture. The first one is showing the waviness. The second pic is showing the huge crack. The third pic is showing the crack again plus some bubbling on the right side. The fourth pic is showing a seam popping through and also next to the entertainment center around the area where there is a glare showing you can see where two pieces of drywall obviously aren't flush with each other. Anyway any advice would be great even though it sounds like the job won't be done. Thanks a lot guys.
keenon is offline   Reply With Quote