Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

drywalling my basement

I am having my basement drywalled and they will seal off the doorway to the rest of house which is supposed to help contain the dust to some degree. However, would it also help on the upper floors if I sealed all the forced air registers and the cold air returns? I would shut the furnace down during the entire time. Would it also make sense to have the ducts cleaned when they are done?

thanks for any help/advice you could give me.

maljeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

drywalling my basement

yes that would definitley help sealing off the ducts. and plastic off the furnance. if you are really worried about dust then i'd try tracking down an air scrubber. im not sure if home depot or a rental company would have one but a restortation company definitley would and they would probably be more then happy to rent one out to you.

princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,360

drywalling my basement

As long as you remember to shut off the furnace you will not need to close off all of the registers up stairs-

Do change the filters several times during the construction--

If you are about due for a duct cleaning--go for it.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

drywalling my basement

Use a box fan (blowing out) with a furnace filter in front (to save the motor and neighbors) in a basement window for a negative air pressure down there. Cardboard around it to air-seal. Crack open some various upstairs windows for make-up supply air flow.

Gary
P.S. Hope you air-sealed all holes through basement ceiling from wiring/plumbing.....