Drywalling Bulkhead And Wall Repair After Basement Reno - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2013, 02:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 29

Drywalling bulkhead and wall repair after basement reno

So, a few months ago I finished a renovation involving removal of a telepost in my basement by adding two very large beams to the existing beam (steel, bolted). This allowed me to remove a wall and create a large enough space for a pool table.

I'm now ready to do the finishing so that I can buy and move in that pool table, so I'm on the hunt for a contractor to patch up the drywall. I contacted a few in the local classifieds, heard back from a couple who had requests for more details and pictures, and sent them both the following email and attached pictures:
Here are some pictures of the area that needs drywalling.

Picture 1 - north - this is an overall picture of the bulkhead that was half removed, exposing floor joists above and cutting into the ceiling. You can also see the two walls (corner) that need patching towards the left of the picture, in the hallway. Roughly the top two feet of the wall needs patching.

Picture 2 - south - this is another view of the ceiling and the wall at the south end (foundation) that needs patching.

Picture 3 - bulkhead - this is a view from directly under the previously existing bulkhead. I have removed about half of it to make way for renovation - as you can see the right half is still there (you can still see some framing). I think an entire new bulkhead needs to be built.

Picture 4 - just a closer view of the north end, where you can see into the furnace room.

Picture 5 - a closer view of the ceiling texture.

For your reference, the bulkhead to be built would be approximately 15' long, 6' wide, and about 10". There are sections of wall that you can also see that need to be patched - they will require some framing to do so.

One of the two got back to me quickly and said it would be $3500 - $5000 . Does this sound reasonable? It is WAY more than I expected. When I first got the support beam installation work quoted, one of the contractors quoted me $500 extra if I wanted to have him patch up the drywall after the work was done (in hindsight, I should have hired him!).

I am also curious about low profile bulkhead techniques. As you can see there was a bulkhead there previously, which is now half removed. The rest will have to be removed to build a new bulkhead.......or, I could drywall around the beam and the bulkhead and leave them exposed. Any thoughts about this? I want to avoid, if possible, a bunch of 2x4 framing under that heating duct which will reduce my already low overhead clearance by another 1.5". I know it doesn't sound like much, but every inch counts when it gets down under 7', which it is.

Thanks in advance for all your input!

S

Advertisement

Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote