Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #1

Share |

drywalling around shower

I just installed a 3 piece shower kit which I was told to screw directly to the studs and then drywall around it, covering the lip. The lip is only about 1/8" thick, but this is enough to make the drywall bow out. How am I supposed to drywall over the lip and the screw heads that are attaching the shower to the studs?
mpdbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
just a tool guy

drywalling around shower

When I was into housebuilding, we used to shim the framing above the enclosure, so that no bowing occurred. It's been many years, and there may be new methods, but if I were doing it again, thats what I would do. An expert will be along shortly to give more insight, I'm sure.

One of these hammers will fix it.
mickey cassiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

drywalling around shower

That's what I do. Cedar shims used for setting doors work well.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #4

drywalling around shower

Around here the normal practice is to stop the drywall at the lip and then fill the gap with dry mix joint compound like easy sand. If you are going to shim the drywall, I would rip narrow strips on a table saw to use for shims so thickness is consistent.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
tpolk (04-23-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
Veteran Rehabber

Exclamation

drywalling around shower

I've tried the shim method. I've also shaved the end of the drywall back 1/8" for the width of the surround nailing strip. Both are a lot of work. And I've tried firehawk's method with 'hot' mud, similar to easysand. Firehawk's method is faster and looks just a good. I'd listen to firehawk.

CMHbob

Visit my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for latest project and reno tips!
CMHbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #6

drywalling around shower

If your walls are exposed, then the shim method is the best solution. If you can live with the hump do nothing. It's common to see this, though it doesn't look the best. If you vote to stop the drywall short of the lip and mud the gap, you may want to fill as much of the gap as possible with a thinner drywall or some other material to avoid multiple passes with mud. This will also help prevent cracking. Good luck!

Rick
http://myhandyadvice.blogspot.com/
sharpsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #7

drywalling around shower

Hi,

I am a Professional Drywall Finisher. The correct way is to install the drywall up to the lip (not on top). This will leave you with a gap to be filled with a specialized compound such as SYNKO Concrete Fill, then tape and finish the joint as normal.
dberladyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
old guy contractor

drywalling around shower

We use the stirring paddles from the Paint Store as shims.
They're exactly 1/8" thick and free
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
Veteran Rehabber

Question

drywalling around shower

Paint stir sticks - Good idea! Shims are OK for back wall, but what about the side walls. If you start shimming behind the tub, you have to carry the shim all the way across the wall to the next corner, not just behind the tub, to eliminate bump where shims stop. Am I missing something?

CMHbob

Visit my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
Veteran Rehabber

Exclamation

drywalling around shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberladyn View Post
The correct way is to install the drywall up to the lip (not on top). This will leave you with a gap to be filled with a specialized compound such as SYNKO Concrete Fill, then tape and finish the joint as normal.
Thanks for the tip - I will try the 'Fill' next time.

CMHbob

Visit my