Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #1

Share |

drywall on wood paneling framing

I got some drywall left over from a renovation and I'd like to use in a room in the basement that had wood paneling. The attached photos show the framing for wood paneling. I only have one 8 foot 2x4, a couple of 8 foot 2x2 laying around and hoping to wall this room with just that (i.e., no budget, just leftovers). I also don't care about it being to code or the walls being strong as I'm not hanging things on it and the room will most likely be temporary (torn out for a real finished basement in a year or two).

Given my scenario, what's the easiest way to get these walls up?
Attached Images

anuvanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

I would not do anything, until you get it insulated with a layer of XPS on the concrete walls, then put up framing members to hold any drywall.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 09-15-2012 at 07:31 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #3

What is XPS?
Old 09-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #4

just a lending hand greg ..... http://www.buildings.com/tabid/3334/...8/Default.aspx

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

I was going to wait for them to figure it out. Personally, if they do not know the materials needed, this job is more than they should be tackling, and may want to relook at it, to make it correct, not as it was before.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 09-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #6

Insulation, "to code", "the right away", is not necessary for this room - it will be demo'd not too long after. It's just my home office so warmth isn't a priority. Water sealing isn't a priority yet either.

I guess I'm looking for "yes, you can put up drywall on the current framing, but..." or "you're going to have to retrofit some areas with 2x4's or 2x2's to..."
Old 09-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuvanoob View Post
Insulation, "to code", "the right away", is not necessary for this room - it will be demo'd not too long after.
why would it be demo'd not too long after?

Old 09-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

I am wondering that also. Is this structure going to be demolished soon, due to structural problems? Putting up Gypsum board will be more of a waste of money, then waiting until you figure out the next step. Has nothing to do with code, insulation, warmth, vapor retarding, it is regarding your question of how to do it.

From your original question, figured that you wanted to know how to do it correctly, not half way.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #9

No, I want halfway. It will be demo'd (the framing and drywall not the concrete and lath & plaster pony wall behind it) when we have the coin to finish the whole basement, which could a year or two from now. In the mean time I just need this one small basement room to serve as my office.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #10

ok .......

Old 09-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

So, why not start now and get the project going, than going half arse. It will cost you twice as much with the waste of money, than just starting the project now. Get the old wood down, fix any holes in the walls, and drainage issues, then hang XPS on the walls and Spray foam the joist perimeter between the concrete wall & upper floor.

Figure six months to get it to the point that you can start hanging drywall, or even get to painting.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (09-16-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #12

Oh, no! You've missed the details in my original and subsequent posts. I'm writing about a small "room in the basement" (11' x 7' 6"), not the whole basement (36' x 30'). Finishing the whole basement is not on our DIY list! We got quotes for that and since it's north of $150,000 we're putting it off for a year or two. And again, for this small room I'm basically not spending any money. I've picked up all the drywall for free and I'm using studs, tape and mud leftover from my upstairs income apartment remodel project.

Clearer?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Nothing was missed. This is a DIY forum, so why aren't you doing the basement remodeling. It does not take $150k to remodel the basement. Sorry to say this, but you are being taken. I could build a new 3br/3ba home for $150k.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll
Nothing was missed. This is a DIY forum, so why aren't you doing the basement remodeling. It does not take $150k to remodel the basement. Sorry to say this, but you are being taken. I could build a new 3br/3ba home for $150k.
I'm not doing the basement remodel because I'm just about to help wrap up the income property remodel and I just don't have the energy to start another big project - I rather pay someone to do it. I just bought this house last year and it would be nice to finally relax and live in it and not deal with a construction zone.

Thanks for your concern, but I'm not being taken - there's more stuff involved for our whole basement project than what I've disclosed.

Thanks everyone for your input. I've already started putting up the backers and drywall and it's looking pretty straight forward.

Thanks again.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #15
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Hi, if I understand your post correctly? you have an existing area in your basement that had paneling on it, the paneling has been removed. now you simply want to cover the walls to make a "sort of" private space for a temporary office? which will be demolished in the future. you are NOT changing anything to compromise the structural integrity of the home? adding a 2x4 or 2x2 for nail er purposes is not doing anything that needs inspection or permits. unless possibly an occupancy permit? you are not upgrading electric to the room? maybe an extension cord for computer. a coax cable, or router? no inspection should be needed for this. warmth/moisture is of no concern to you at this time. I don't know of any law that requires you to insulate? basements as a rule are normally not freezing cold nor ungodly hot.

I'm sure others will disagree with me? I remember way back in the early 50's my grandmother in the western mountains of North Carolina, would use thumb tacks and news papers to cover the interior walls of the old house that had rough sawn boards as siding, some had 1/2" cracks the news papers only diverted the wind blowing in and made the rooms semi- private. but that's all she wanted/needed!

you don't have to finish the drywall or put up any trim. if you don't want to.

if you like? you can simply glue wallpaper to the studs. if you want some design? whatever you can be comfortable seeing a few hours you need to be in your office.

good luck

coupe is offline   Reply With Quote