Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drywall and texture in bathroom

I remodeled 2 bathrooms in October where there had been mold and water leaking. I installed the drywall and finished with light texture. The customer did not want me to paint because they wanted to do that themselves. When I completed the job the customer said they really liked the work and paid the balance of what they owed. They called two days ago and said the texture was not holding on when they try to paint. This customer has 9 kids and has been using the shower and tubs in both bathroom for at least 4 weeks without priming or painting so I am not sure if the moisture affected the texture or not. We have to go and redo the work or they will give us a bad rep. What would you do? It just seems a little strange that they wait 6 months to say anything and also since I have been over there at least 2 times in the last 2 months to install a fan and nothing was said.

mikeypellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Sounds fishy to me Mike. I usually go back and take care of little things without question. But in this case, If I had to go back and fix it because they didn't paint right away, I would fix the texture and charge for painting it. This is all assuming you told them not to use it before painting it.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
joecaption (04-08-2013), Nailbags (04-08-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure I told them to not use the room until painted; I just assumed they knew because they acted like they were going to paint as soon as possible. Lesson learned....thanks.
Mike
mikeypellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

In the future, I would require that if I texture, I also apply a coat of primer.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,482

Use this as a learning thing. Yes I would go back and fix it. In the future if something like this comes up have the HO sign a waiver that says since the job was not completed by you, no warranty is implied or given. I have done this when HO insist on using cheap paint or materials I am not familiar with.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Drywall and Painting Pro

Rewards Points: 276

Go back and fix the texture, then prime the bathroom with a light coat of oil primer Kilz or Bins. Don't back roll.
That should lock it all down nicely.

Checkout some of my How to videos->How to Secrets from a Drywall Finisher
Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote