Drywall Taping - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

drywall taping

First timer taping drywall, have a couple of questions.

1. Wouldn't it make more sense to do the first coat (the tape embedding) with chemical compound, rather the premixed one? It's supposed to be stronger, so to me it makes more sense, no? And the continue with the regular compound for 2nd, 3rd, etc ...

2. In a bathroom with green (mold resistant) drywall, wouldn't it make more sense to use the green mesh tape (that is mold resistant) rather than paper tape? Since it's the paper that is prone to mold, it wouldn't make sense to add "point of failure" to your expensive green drywalling, no?

thanks

Advertisement

ohliuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 862

drywall taping

I always do prefill and taping with hot mud.If this is your first time use 90 minute.Anything less and you will have problems.I also use hot mud for the second coat and use topping for the final coat.
Won't get into the paper mesh thing.It's a daily argument on these boards.I always use paper and it can be bought in a mold resistant form.

Advertisement

mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,670

drywall taping

Agree including the paper tape. Might add there are 2 chemical (or hot muds) 1 comes in a brown bag and is called Dura bond I would advise against this one. It is considered non-sandable so with no experience it is hard to use. The second is called EZ sand and comes in a white bag. It is sand able but not as easy as the name implies.

A couple tips since your new if you mix the hot mud with warm or hot water it will make it set faster, maybe too fast. Do not mix it too thin as this will make it easier to work but it will become brittle when dry. Do not mix more than you can use as once it starts to set you can't save it, to add water to try and thin it won't work.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #4

drywall taping

We use Dura bond but have used it for years .Take toolseekers advice and use the easysand 90.You can buy it at HD.Mix with regular tap water on cold side.
Mix with a drill and scrape the sides and bottom of the bucket clean with a 3" knife or similar .Then mix again to make sure there are no nasties.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 254

drywall taping

the tape and mud are all covered with paint, mold starts on the surface so it doesn't matter whats below the surface under normal conditions as far as mold goes .. now if you have excessive moisture behind the rock it still doesn't matter what you use for tape , mold doesn't start where the tape is .
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #6

drywall taping

Exactly,but if it makes them feel better they make a product to get more of your money!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 11:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,498

drywall taping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohliuw View Post
1. Wouldn't it make more sense to do the first coat (the tape embedding) with chemical compound, rather the premixed one? It's supposed to be stronger, so to me it makes more sense, no? And the continue with the regular compound for 2nd, 3rd, etc ...
Yes. But while it's stronger, it could be overkill, and most people find the setting compound inconvenient. In some cases it's a good idea though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohliuw View Post
2. In a bathroom with green (mold resistant) drywall, wouldn't it make more sense to use the green mesh tape (that is mold resistant) rather than paper tape? Since it's the paper that is prone to mold, it wouldn't make sense to add "point of failure" to your expensive green drywalling, no?
It makes more sense to eliminate the source of the moisture, rather than try a half-assed attempt at reducing a food source. Water should never be getting to the tape to begin with. If so, you have a bigger problem than what kind of tape you used.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #8

drywall taping

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
Won't get into the paper mesh thing.It's a daily argument on these boards.
I have used FibaFuse with good success. I won't use mesh tape (e.g. FibaTape) but I think FibaFuse is a good compromise, and in any case, certainly easier for a DIYer than paper, especially when used with setting compound.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:45 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,670

drywall taping

I agree with the overkill. About the only time I use hot mud is for problem areas, gaps between the sheets, damaged areas, or areas that would be prone to cracking. For most areas I just bed my tape with the general purpose, in the bucket with the bright green lid. Then finish with the lightweight or topping.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #10

drywall taping

Main reason we use the hot mud is time.We can do 2 coats in a day and finish the next.We can mix it just like we want,it's creamy smootn and lays down well.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #11

drywall taping

If only I could find a way to put on 3 coats, sand, and paint in one day.....
Old 07-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #12

drywall taping

If you do,call me.I'll make you a million.

Advertisement