Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #1

Share |

Drywall tape sticking out

Drywall hung on the wall and I used two cut ends (non tapered) at the joint. Taped it, and because the tape is applied on two non tapered ends, the tape is sticking out the width of the tape. The tape is applied correctly and there are no air pockets or excess mud under the tape.

Can I fix this by using a large 12" drywall knife and sand and re-apply 3 or 4 times?

vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #2

You can smooth it out by using more mud... You have to taper out far enough so the bump created by the extra mud will not be visible... a larger taping knife will make the finish smoother and reduce the sanding.

Depending on where the work is being done, if you are worried about a big sanding mess or just don't want to get the bigger taping knife, wait half the drying time and use a DAMP sponge to smooth out the edges. Make sure it dries before the next coat.

missfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #3

A couple more coats of mud and make the joint wider and thicker to taper it out.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #4

I was planning on applying mud over the tape with my 6" knife and then smoothing it out with a 12"
I dont have one right now, but I'll just go out and get one.
Otherwise I have a 10" 5-in-1 Richards hard plastic knife, however it doesnt have the rigidity of a metal knife.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #5

If you don't have the 12" knife yet, get a larger one, of course this depends on the size of the area. You can taper out with a larger knife by putting the mud in the middle, but with a shorter one you are limited by it's width, and that will require more strokes and more sanding. If you're talking about a wall that is not high visibility, take your chances with a shorter knife. If you want a very smooth, invisible finish, go with a larger one for a few extra bucks.
missfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #6

This area is highly visible with a light that shines over this area. I exposed the walls to hide wires for a wallmounted tv.

So, I'll go with the larger 12" knife and I plan on having bright lights available. It needs to be a high profile type finish.

Tags
drywall, mud, tape