Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #1

Share |

Drywall Tape?

We have started a new project of hanging drywall in our home,we are doing this room by room and have the first one tore out and installed the new drywall.We're ready for the taping and mudding but have been reading mixed reveiws on the tape as of paper tape vs. adhesive tape. Looking for any recommendations on which would be the best to use. This is our first time doing the drywall and are looking for the easiest way to do it.

photosbyvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #2

Drywall Tape?

I have never seen a pro use adhesive tape, nor have I for that matter. If you are going to be doing several rooms, it may be worth your while to invest in a cheap "bango". There are about $70.00 at HD. The tape is pulled thru the box and applies the mud on one side of the tape. Very handy. You could take it one step further and purchase a corner roller at your local drywall store. They start at $120.00, but a cheap one does the job. After the tape is applied in the corner, the roller presses it down and smooths it out. Also handy when alot of corners need to be done.

Mop in Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Drywall Tape?

paper tape when applied correctly makes a stronger joint and is cheaper. This is why professionals use it. Mesh tape is okay for DIYers since you can apply a heavier first coat and not have issues with the tape bubbling.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #4

Drywall Tape?

For my first time taping, I used paper. It is easy once you get the hang of it.

I have never tried the adhesive one, but I have heard from some people that it is not the best to use for taping joints. I have heard that it is better for repairing.

I don't know as I have not used it.

Good luck.
You will do a great job. If yummy mummy can do it, so can you......
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
Drywall contractor

Drywall Tape?

Paper tape is the correct way to go. I only use mesh on small repairs. It is not to be used in corners either, just on the flats. If you do decide to use mesh, always use a setting type compound for at least the first coat. If you decide to purchase a "banjo", understand your mud will have to be thinned considerably to work properly. You'll want to thin your mud even for hand taping and successive coats, though not as much.....
Old 09-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #6

Drywall Tape?

Thanks for all the input,went and got some paper tape.
Some of my joints are so close taht you cant see a gap just a samll line,can I just mud that in or should I put tape on all seems?
Old 09-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
Theres more then one way.

Drywall Tape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbyvj View Post
Some of my joints are so close taht you cant see a gap just a samll line,can I just mud that in or should I put tape on all seems?
Tape all the seems or it will crack.

My current learning experience - 22x22 addition - Work shop, music-room, master bedroom above..
iMisspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
Drywall contractor

Drywall Tape?

The point of the tape is to cover the "joint", not necessarily the "crack". Yes you MUST tape ALL joints.....
Old 09-11-2009, 09:17 PM   #9

Drywall Tape?

Ok,thanks again.I know the first layer is going to look bad but its just looking like this will be a 4 layer job,lol.