Drywall Tape - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drywall tape

Hi all,

Last fall I began to finish my basement. I framed with wood, hung the drywall and primed. My question is about the way I taped and finished.

I used Wall Tool & Tape Corp's "Easy Joint Tape", which is a self adhesive, paper tape perforated with round holes. Then used SheetRock Lightweight all purpose joint compound to finish. Now that the season has changed, almost every single joint has hairline cracks. Was this the wrong combination to use on all joints? I REALLY don't feel like gutting all of the seams and redoing them.

Advertisement

klavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Drywall tape

You should not have used lightweight mud to bed the tape. Lightweight mud is usually only used as the last coat. Also, I'm not a big fan of the self adhesive tape because it does not allow the mud to fully fill the joint behind the tape. You may get away with skimming over the cracks and repriming/painting, but if the cracks are getting worse you may need to do a more involved repair.

Advertisement

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
Drywall and Painting Pro

Rewards Points: 322

Drywall tape

The correct mud to have used would have been a setting type (Powder that you mix with water) on the first coat. I don't know if just mudding over the cracks will hold up long term. But if your going to go that route, I would go with a 45 minute setting compuond. Let us know how it all pans out. Good Luck!!

Checkout some of my How to videos->How to Secrets from a Drywall Finisher
Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Drywall tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir MixAlot View Post
...I would go with a 45 minute setting compuond.
SirMA,
You provoke a question I've had for some time. Other than setting time, is there a noticeable difference in the different muds? I've come to really appreciate the the setting mud in my DW tangles...but when I go to the BORG and there's several options, I can't help but wonder. Could you shed some light, please?
Old 07-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,038

Drywall tape

I've never used any self-stick paper tape so I can't really say whether is worth a flip or not, but I have to agree with Mix. If I were to try something like that, I would use a setting type compound on the first coat as with mesh tape. I'm pretty much old school so jobs of any size are paper tape and regular redi-mix compound. Repairs get mesh, setting compound (anywhere from 20 to 90 min.), and skim with regular. Agree also that skimming with setting compound may not be a long term fix. Did you follow the mfgr.'s specs for install and coating?? I couldn't find much when I looked them up on line....