Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
Marie

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

is drywall strong enough for wood and CBU strips

Is drywall strong enough to hold a vertical strip of wood (2 1/2" wide x 1/2" thick) with a strip of Hardibacker cement board on top of that (same dimensions), then thinset and ceramic tile on top of that? Or should I trim the drywall and put in another stud? This is just at the side of my tub/tile project on the plumbing wall. The standout of the tub is 1" away from the drywall so had to fur those studs. There is a 1" gap between the drywall and the tub toward the bottom tub edge.

Do I use wood screws or are there special drywall screws to attach the wood to the drywall. I'll use the Backer-On screws to attach the Hardibacker.

Thanks so much for information!

MarieDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #2

Hey MarieDIY,
I just want to make sure we are on the same page. You are putting 2x2 furring strips over the dry wall and then you are attaching a cement board onto those 2x2 furring strips correct? The drywall alone isn’t strong enough to hang the 2x2’s and the cement board. You would need something to be fixed to the studs. When it comes to the fasteners I would use something that is exterior rated like a prime guard screw or a galvanized screw. Let me know if this answers your questions. If it doesn’t please reword your question, simplify it for me.

There are a lot of really great flooring experts on this site that will defiantly be able to answer more thoroughly. I am curious to see what they would recommend in your situation too.

gotogregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Marie

Hi GotoGregg - Thanks for your quick reply. No, not using 2x2. I'm going to use a 2 1/2 x 1/2 strip of pine (the furring) then Aquabar and a strip of cement board (Hardibacker) on top of the pine then tiles as the outer layer. I thought that the drywall wouldn't be strong enough but was hoping it would be.

How about if I trim away the drywall about 3 inches then put a stud next to the other stud and screw the furring onto the new stud? I have pictures I can post if that would help.

I have to extend the tile out about 2 1/2 inches from the tub vertical line due to a 1 inch gap in the drywall toward the bottom of the tub.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #4

Hey MarieDIY,
From what I gather adding the furring strip on a new stud should be strong enough. Have you also considered taking down the drywall and adding 2x4's perpendicular (horizontally) to the existing studs? Then you could screw the cement board onto the horizontal studs. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. If your building the wall out how are you going to cover the side? -Gregg
gotogregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
Marie

Hi GotoGregg -
Yes, I did. I thought that would be a good solution. I don't mind the more work - I just want it to be right and a long-term solution.

Now the hole is larger. Yesterday, in poking at the drywall (not hard, just with a finger) at the bottom by the floor (to see how loose it was), more of it broke so now there is a larger hole. Can drywall become rotten?
Old 12-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieDIY View Post
Can drywall become rotten?
It sure can. Water is drywall's enemy for sure.

Last edited by Axecutioner-B; 12-02-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Axecutioner-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
Marie

Oh crumb! I'll bet I have much larger problems than I realize. Thanks for the info!