Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

drywall stop bead

The kitchen of my 1930 bungalow was built with 3/4" wood shiplap planks on walls and ceilings over the wood frame. In a 1960 renovation, 1/4" drywall was applied over the wood. I am considering removing the ceiling sheetrock which is damaged and exposing the shiplap ceiling for a rustic look. At the top edge of the drywall on the walls, where they meet the ceiling, there will be a 1/4" gap from where I ripped out the ceiling sheetrock. I'd prefer to use some kind of corner bead to create a clean edge to the finish wall and leave the gap as a 1/4" reveal (rather than throwing up some kind of molding). My problem is that this reveal will only be 1/4" deep. All the stop bead/corner bead products I can find have at least 1/2" legs, usually 1-1/4". I am thinking maybe it is possible to "rip" one leg of vinyl corner bead to create the profile I need, but I am hoping there is a better solution.

Thanks for the help!
-Phil

Last edited by lpbaraldi; 08-07-2010 at 10:29 AM.
lpbaraldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

drywall stop bead

Don't really know of a good product for what you propose. I guess you could go the route you're thinking. If it were mine, I'd either go with trim or pre-fill with setting compound and flat tape around the ceiling. But you'd loose the reveal....

Old 08-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #3

drywall stop bead

Thanks for the tips. I will most likely give up the reveal idea and go with the setting compound and flat tape. Would still be interested in hearing anyones thoughts/experiences on ripping vinyl corner bead though.
lpbaraldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

drywall stop bead

If you want to try it, it will cut easily enough with a good pair of snips or even some fairly heavy duty scissors. For a couple of bucks for a "test" piece, it's easy enough to find out. I have cut down metal bead before for a custom fit and it WILL work. I guess I just don't see the need in the reveal, but I'm not really a decorator type. My wife says all of my taste is in my mouth....