Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
Still Decompressing

Rewards Points: 197

Drywall stage for Kitchen Remodel

In the middle of my kitchen remodel. I have the plumber comming out Monday and will have all the electrical finnished this week as well.

Now I need to line up a dry-wall installer. I have done several dry-wall jobs in the past with good results. This time, I thing I would just prefer to have a pro do it. (if the cost is not too outrageous).

So, how much should I expect to pay to have somebody come in a dry-wall up my kitchen?? (I am in the West Chicago area.)

2 walls: 8' x 14' & 8' x 10'
Ceiling is 10' x 14'

Once all the plumbing and elec is finnished, the dry-wall should all go flush against the studs, so once I line up the installer, it should be ready to go straight in.
Attached Thumbnails
Drywall stage for Kitchen Remodel-last-demo-pic-w-sink.jpg  

caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,932

Price guessing questions are never very successful here---your job is rather small to be interesting to most installers---looks like 7 or 8 sheets---

You will be paying a premium due to the small size of the job----my guess--$800 to $1000---You might get lucky and find a hanger/taper that is looking for some after hours work and beat that ---Mike----

Old 08-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
Still Decompressing

Thanks mike. Are you talking Labor? or materials??

I know that dry-wall is not that expensive. If I could get this all set up and ready for paint for $800 - $1,000 I would be thrilled.

I have a couple contacts that I will be calling on Monday. Let me know if you know of any 'hungry' after-hours types, that would be interested.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
DIY staff

That guess would include materials and clean up---We are quite busy right now--my full time guy does most of the drywall work---
Old 08-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
Still Decompressing

Thanks Mike!

I have two contact #s to call Monday. Hopefully one of them will pan out, and wants to do the job.

I just wanted a good baseline $ amount so I know to keep looking, or jump on the 1st decent option to get the work done!!

I talked to 3 plumbers about my project, and their estimates were all over the map. Turns out, the guy with the best $rate was also the one that was the most personable and responsive. He did all the plumbing for a friends remodel so I am fairly confident I will get decent work.

Thanks again!!

Anyone else: feel free to chime in with comments or leads for a drywall installer in my area.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
DIY staff

Price is not always the best indicator of quality---Your friendly plumber is a good example---with drywall on a smaller job--travel is the deal killer---someone local will be happy to get a day hanging and taping--then two more trips to coat and sand.

I have a great guy from Joliet----however, He only takes larger jobs that are not close to home----

We are working on the north side of Chicago for the next week or two----that is rough for doing small part day jobs----

Consider paying a bit extra for priming and touch ups---

New drywall often has some minor flaws that do not show up until priming---

pro painters know this and plan on touch ups----

most homeowners do not realize that some touch ups are part of the painting job and complain loudly about the drywallers work---so plan on touch ups after priming or pay extra for prime and touch up==Mike----
Old 08-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,450

Try homewyse.com for a start.

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote