Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #1

Share |

Drywall seams technique

I have done a lot of reading about how to properly do seams. I still have trouble and I am gaining more respest for the pros. But I am set on getting better at drywalling.

When doing the seams, I add mud in layers. On my current project, a bathroom update, I have done 4 layers of mud but, I have sanded each layer. I think I need to do another coat of mud too. I just read a post that stated not to sand the first two coats. So I think I am sanding for no reason after the first coat. I have a project underways where I am going to try not sanding between layers and just knock off the chunks of compound at the edge. Hopefully, this will get me closer to three layers with a lot less sanding and mess.

I also think I overwork the mud trying to be perfect. The mud seems to be getting stiff and harder to work with hence more tool marks and mistakes. Right now, I have been using a premixed compound but I wonder if I should be thinning this out for coats two and three to make it easier to feather it out.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mark

wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #2

Drywall seams technique

i always taped and then put 2 coats on, then sanded. did another coat if needed anywhere.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #3

Drywall seams technique

Classic first timers mistakes.
Apply the mud to thick.
Not using wide enough knife.
Trying to make is perfect on the first coat.
The whole idea is to get the wall level, After the first coat all your doing is filling in the low spots, so why would you sand it off and make it lower?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Drywall seams technique

I just bet you are using too narrow a knife and rushing the material.

Especially with premix I mud the seams generously, press paper tape into it. Tool off the excess. That is it for round one until the mud dries.

Then two coats over the tape being careful not to work it too hard once the tape gets wet with the first coat. Use a wide enough knife.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #5

Drywall seams technique

I just did a section with a thinned mud and it was much better. I watched a video about mudding and the info about letting the tool float and pressure applied to different areas of the trowel helped out.

I always sanded the different layers to get them level so that the knife wouldn't 'bounce' on rough spots in the successive layers. For the first pass, I have been using a 4" knife followed by a 12" knife.

I guess I can cut my calorie intake to account for doing less sanding lol.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Drywall seams technique

Cut yourself some slack! It takes practice. I have done a lot of it but usually subbed it out if budget would allow or unless the job was just too small. Those that do it everyday and all day have it down to an art form.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #7

Drywall seams technique

What causes chatter marks or waves to appear in the mud? Is it the angle I am holding the knife, too loose, not enough compound? It doesn't happen all of the time, but it is a pain.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Drywall seams technique

there are several reasons for waving in the compound. but, the main one is consistency. the angle of knife must be consistent, as well as the pressure applied. also the consistency of the mud mixture must be thorough through-out. if the mud is a tad bit drier at some point? it's not going to apply right dry right, or be right when done. personally, I prefer a trowel over a knife, as there is less flexing.flexing,causes inconsistency. I also find it better, to work from dry into went mud, you can see any waves you're leaving? which must be sanded out prior to final coat. there should be no sanding between coats, as compound dust will miss into the fresh mud, causing waves. bumps,leaving tool marks, and an uneven finish. the only sanding, should be after final coat, before priming/painting. then, I prefer a damp sponge mop over sanding, just along the edges of the tapers of the joints. if sanded? the dust should be wiped off, it'll mix in the paint leaving a rough finish.

everyone must develop their own technique, it takes time and practice. just a few sheets now and then it takes longer to master and get the feeling just right. it takes time to build the strength in your hand/wrist, to keep that constant angle and pressure. each coat doesn't have to be perfect. the second and third coats need to be as close as you can get them. makes for much less sanding and work.

good luck
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #9

Drywall seams technique

Thanks for the tips.

Using the advice, i managed to make the seams look much better. Today, I sanded the final coat and it looks excellent.

The Following User Says Thank You to wwkayaker For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (09-05-2012)