Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2010, 02:38 AM   #1
Professional Wood Shafter

Share |

drywall screw pop

Had some screws in the drywal 'pop' and cause a slight buldge in the drywall. Mostly like due to the winter construction framing and lack of heat.

After the wall is final painted, Whats the best way to fix these? scrap and then mud patch? sand/spot paint or whole wall paint i would i assume.. no?

ryanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:57 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

drywall screw pop

Whack bulge with a hammer,tighten screw, re mud, sand, clean THEN prime and paint.It does not make much sence to paint first.You could prime first to see where all the pops are, though.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
Professional Wood Shafter

drywall screw pop

Thanks bud.

What i ment was the wall was already final painted. trim installed everything, then the screw's poped. Wondering if they can just be spot patched . or have to repaint the whole wall for a screw pop ..
ryanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

drywall screw pop

If you're going to drive the screw up with a hammer, it will likely tear the face paper on the drywall which will cause the screw to pop again the first time you get a little "seasonal" lumber movement or someone happens to push/lean on the spot. You'll need to add another screw an inch or two above or below the existing screw (or both) to hold the drywall tight to the framing. If you have some of the original paint, the walls were painted very recently, it's a fairly neutral color paint, and probably a few other variables, you MIGHT be able to touch up. Not likely though......
Old 03-19-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
PHB Construction LLC

drywall screw pop

If it were me I'd add a screw both above and below the pop then fill, patch, sand, prime and repaint. If the screw pop doesn't bother you that much have a drink and forget about it.
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote